FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Speakers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 8:16pm
I was just going to say that,i think that sound has been added on that clip after the video was taken Trevor.

Here is another pair,with genuine sound,look at the state of the drivers,ripped cones,and missing dust cap,with nasty Tandy mixer,still sounds sweet though.

Be seeing you.
London Sound1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Sound1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 8:00pm
The track was added after the images, the stereo position does not change with movement.

Ian

Edited by London Sound1 - 24 August 2013 at 8:00pm
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 7:37pm
Here is another one I found on my journeys throgh cyberspace this afternoon - the ubiquitous Altec VOTT A7. This one sounds particularly nice:

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 6:59pm
Impressive clarity.
Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 6:47pm
This is how the RCA horns sound. I don't know what drivers are in the cabs - the cabs do look original - but they are Japanese so it's possible they are the originals.  Enjoy.

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 9:20am
I did have a link to the plans for the RCA/Shearer bins but the site has now disappeared. I shall try and find them again. Expensive in ply, though!

Note that most versions of the box were in a square sided cab enclosing the horn - which means extra weight but the original would have had sloping sides.

Here is a general desription. This document seems to include a 12 Goodmans speaker - possibly used as a mid range - which could be the version showed in Tony's original post.

Just a quick update - I located an old thread on the AudioAsylum forum in which someone was saying he had some empty RCA MI 9456 bins and I have asked him if he ever managed to load them with modern drivers (Eminence & EV were mentioned) and if so how did they test. I was also doing some reading and apparently, when the Altec VOTT A4/A2 speakers were released in the late 40s they outperformed the RCA/Shearer bins in every respect - however, this may have been advertising hype or the new drivers made the difference rather than the cabs.
Also, I found a Swedish site (no, not that sort) discussing cinema horns, which has the same cab that Tony posted in the original post here and also, another swedish site (in Swedish - how inconsiderate) with a few more pics here
The quest goes on...

Edited by jazomir - 24 August 2013 at 7:47pm
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 2:19am
I look forward to your version.Big smile
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 11:02pm
it would be a very interesting project to re-build the shearer bin, loaded with the best of todays drivers.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 7:38pm
I use to have 2 double and 2 single RCA bins. Used them at the Notting Hill Carnival in 1986 and 1987 under the flyover. To this day I have not heard heavier bass. We kept them in a council lock up that was being controlled by a friend but the Council cleared out the garages without notice and that was the end of them.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

AJ PA. got a certain ring to it.
What a lot of new comers may find it hard to believe is that with all the power we have today, it's not much louder than it used to be especially in a Concert Hall situation. Hammersmith Odeon used to be done with less than 10k. Today, artistes would want that on stage never mind out front.
The old Rainbow system was also based on the RCA-type bins - almost the same as the Stones system I mentioned earlier. 3 bins per side, probably driven by DC300s giving total bass power of 900 watts/side - individual floor monitors use more than that nowadays.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 6:52pm
Very true.

Be seeing you.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 6:31pm
AJ PA. got a certain ring to it.
What a lot of new comers may find it hard to believe is that with all the power we have today, it's not much louder than it used to be especially in a Concert Hall situation. Hammersmith Odeon used to be done with less than 10k. Today, artistes would want that on stage never mind out front.

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 23 August 2013 at 7:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>