Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn vs reflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn vs reflex
    Posted: 20 September 2017 at 11:01am
Hi
How many 15" reflex to equal 4 x es18?
Guess minimum 8...
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 1:09pm
It would be a matter of frequency. Designed properly, 4 single Reflex cabinets will surpass 4 ES 18 from 40 Hz - down. At the same token 4 ES 18 will surpass 4 single Reflex cabinets from 60 Hz on up. Understanding what frequencies you require will determine which design will meet your requirements.

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 20 September 2017 at 1:10pm
Elliot Thompson
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 5:36pm
I know that, i have es18 since 2009 But They arent an easy one man lift and i just use them on a narrow band.
Basically i need something with The same output of The 4xes18 But Less weight...
The es18 are doing 80/150hz and The same would be for another box

Edited by king david - 20 September 2017 at 5:38pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:02pm
Based on the bandwidth, you are better off with horns. Possibly the HD 15

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 20 September 2017 at 6:04pm
Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 7:18pm
Yes i was Just wondering how many 15 reflex i should use To equal The four horns. I could make a test but i really cant find the time
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:13pm
Or use same amount of reflex with (I have no idea) super efficient in your band drivers. This could be modeled in Bass Box Pro. Anybody know of a kick 15 that is over 100db?
It's everything, not everythink!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:32pm
If 2 x 15 can keep up with An es18 that would be fine for me
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 9:40pm
Message Blue Aran, he should have an answer to the driver issue.

Agree ES18 is an awkward lift
It's everything, not everythink!
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:40pm
David getting too old eh ?
Big smile
If you getting rid of es18s anytime send a message !
cheers

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

Yes i was Just wondering how many 15 reflex i should use To equal The four horns. I could make a test but i really cant find the time

Reflex cabinets are not as efficient as horns where the horn is active. Bass horns are most efficient where you plan to set the frequency. One could say a double fifteen would be equivalent to a single bass horn but, I really do not know anyone would use a reflex box within the frequencies you are planning to use and expect the same results as a bass horn playing such a high frequency range in terms of bass.

I am sorry to say if you cannot make the time you will always find yourself wondering which one will meet your requirements. No one can give you a direct answer for there are too many variables that comes into play.

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

Hi
How many 15" reflex to equal 4 x es18?
Guess minimum 8...

It will depend (in part) on what drivers are in your ES18s, how hard you drive them and over what frequency range.

You mention 80-150Hz in another post, what crossover slopes are you using and do you use any EQ boosts within that range?

Also, do the 15's have to be singles (to help with your weight goal) or are there any other constraints eg max box dimensions?

Edited by DMorison - 21 September 2017 at 2:00pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

It will depend (in part) on what drivers are in your ES18s, how hard you drive them and over what frequency range.

You mention 80-150Hz in another post, what crossover slopes are you using and do you use any EQ boosts within that range?

Also, do the 15's have to be singles (to help with your weight goal) or are there any other constraints eg max box dimensions?

i have 4ohm version of b&c 18pzb100, run by an ffa 6004, so ideally its 1500w/box but with a limiter they never see any clip, mostly just flashing the -3db light...
the crossover slopes are 24db LR and eq is -1/2db at 150hz.
since a 15"reflex box is around half es18, yes, i'd go for singles.
basically this is the system, its sounds good, es18 sound good, maybe i'll keep them, with the 15" option if i have to set up all by myself

Edited by king david - 21 September 2017 at 4:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>