Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hornresp head fuggery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornresp head fuggery
    Posted: 27 September 2018 at 7:13pm
I've recently started using hornresp and my first project on it is design a sub for movies with a P audio E12-300s.

By what I've read, Pmax is peak power handling?
I dont understand why begins to form as low as 4/5W.
My only thoughts are if this driver hates being in a sealed enclosure?

Cheers.

Edited by yTho - 27 September 2018 at 8:02pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 7:19pm
SD is not a volume figure but radiating surface in cm2.

531cm2 in your case

Edited by MarjanM - 27 September 2018 at 7:19pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
yTho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

SD is not a volume figure but radiating surface in cm2.

531cm2 in your case

I've never face-palmed so hard in my life.
After correcting that.. hornresp's calcs are pretty close but not spot on, what would you trust?

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 8:27pm
What are you comparing its results with?

You must bear in mind that Hornresp is working from a relatively simple model of driver and enclosure and it assumes a small signal such that the driver is moving in a way that all of its modeled parameters stay constant. As soon as you give it a large signal then things change. So only take a T/S model as an indicator of low frequency performance.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 8:47pm
The E12-300 is designed for a cabinet of 25 - 40 L, yours is 160 L.

Your Sd is still incorrect ;)
yTho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

The E12-300 is designed for a cabinet of 25 - 40 L, yours is 160 L.

Your Sd is still incorrect ;)

Well that could explain a lot...

ffs, thank you LOL

EDIT: I've made the enclosure size 30L, I can now put the Pmax to 10W before I get the red line. I'm guessing im heading in the right direction but does this really mean it will only take 10W before it begins the process of disintegrating itself?

Edited by yTho - 27 September 2018 at 8:57pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:41pm
Drivers usually don't disintegrate themselves beyond Xmax but it's a good boundary to respect. In your case, it tells you that you don't want to use this specific driver/ cabinet combination below 100 Hz (or thereabouts). So either change the cabinet or your driver.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 9:43am
You're probably barking up the wrong tree using this driver for a sub. It's Fs is 60Hz which means you aren't going much lower than that whilst keeping reasonable driver damping which is what tends to cause the over excursion. What is your design specification?
yTho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

You're probably barking up the wrong tree using this driver for a sub. It's Fs is 60Hz which means you aren't going much lower than that whilst keeping reasonable driver damping which is what tends to cause the over excursion. What is your design specification?

I've started to realise this.
I've got a e12-300s spare atm that my brother wanted to use to reinforce the bass for his Neat towers to use for movies. I spoke with him about what i've found and he said he isnt too bothered about sub-bass at this stage, so having a bandpass from 50-380 is what he's hoping for. This is a project for both of us in more ways than one.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 11:38am
I haven't run the numbers but your best bet is probably a vented enclosure tuned to near Fs. Just be aware that under this excursion will rapidly rise as the enclosure cannot damp driver motion anymore - a steep-ish high pass filter would be advised. A 4th order bandpass may be possible, you'd have to see. Harder enclosures to tune though. It's not a great driver tbh. Weak motor. Probably aimed at 2 way midtop type enclosures or double 12 + top disco bin designs. It's on a par with Eminence delta12LF

380Hz is also rather oddly high for a sub. Did you mean 80Hz?
yTho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I haven't run the numbers but your best bet is probably a vented enclosure tuned to near Fs. Just be aware that under this excursion will rapidly rise as the enclosure cannot damp driver motion anymore - a steep-ish high pass filter would be advised. A 4th order bandpass may be possible, you'd have to see. Harder enclosures to tune though. It's not a great driver tbh. Weak motor. Probably aimed at 2 way midtop type enclosures or double 12 + top disco bin designs. It's on a par with Eminence delta12LF

380Hz is also rather oddly high for a sub. Did you mean 80Hz?

It is quite high, I think he's trying to boost what his towers lack in. Will start looking into how to do bandpass on hornresp and see the outcome, if its poor ill have to just say he needs to get a new driver more suitable.
All good learning curves!
 Post Reply Post Reply