Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(horns) If portability was not an issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (horns) If portability was not an issue
    Posted: 10 June 2008 at 5:17pm
Hi all,
I've got an idea for a custom sound system for a 250capacity venue, which is rectangular shaped with the stage at one end. My question I have for you Acoustic wizards...

If space (lengthwise)was not an issue, and if I wanted to build a straight horn Hug that would have a response down to say... 35Hz or even 30Hz or lower, so that I could half the amount of reflex or 6th order cabs to hopefully just 1 or 2 18" horn loaded subs per side. A bit like the EM Quake, but stretched out. Are there any issues I need to consider when the horn is not folded? I've not dabbled with hornresp yet and I'm not too sure how to use it, but I'm guessing I'm looking at a 3m horn at least. I had a picture in my head of some boxes at the back of the stage which houses the drivers, with a couple of long expanding horns going all the way to the front of the stage.

OR am I being too ambitious?

Ideally I want the efficiency of a horn with a really deep cut off. Suited for bass heavy music like dubstep... etc.. And if I can make it look nice and different, that would be a bonus!

Thanks.

Here's a sketch I made to help you understand what I mean.

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 5:54pm
If it were me I would try and build it curved so it goes around the edge of a room where you could embed seating to make it look less incongruous. That would in turn make it folded, but it could be made to look very attractive.

There is a practical limit to the amount of sensitivity you can get out of a box, I doubt you will be able to exceed 108dB from a box, and you would probably need about a 5-6m horn to get that.

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 7:59pm
Blahblahblah
Dr Burnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 12:50pm
WOW! Something like that would be MINT! but, maybe not so big. I guess by folding, I'd get a longer path.

Hey doober, did you build that horn? Where is it? I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

I guess I could rip the stage apart and utilize that space. I'd be happy to get 106dB efficiency as long as its all the way down to 30-35Hz. That would be plenty.

Basically, I have a friend with a venue which she is loosing money on, So I thought why not make it a project to get the best sound for little money (which I'll be investing, or using my current rig). So I thought, why not build a big horn out of cheap material like MDF and put some nice drivers in it e.g. the new void 1200w 18" drivers or something... If it doesn't take off, I'll take my drivers back and leave the horns. Plus, It'll be an interesting project for me. I kind of know how to use Hornresp.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 12:54pm
How big is the stage. Can you fold it under the stage?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:00pm

Are folds sometimes beneficial in horns like this because folding filters out higher frequencies? Not something I know enough about.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:07pm
If you are building a sub (30-100Hz) folding can not affect the frequency response because the valve length is too big. For upper range they do act as a bandpass filter.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:08pm
Main benefit in folding is to make the box more compact.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Dr Burnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:10pm
The stage is about 8m square. Or so, not measured it properly yet.

Edited by Dr Burnz - 11 June 2008 at 1:12pm
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 2:12pm
Embarrassed
sorry, i'm just showing off now!

since gatecrasher sheffield burnt down, this is the only one left now.

Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
Dr Burnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 2:42pm
Is that 2 separate horns with 3 drivers in each?

That design looks pretty much ideal to me. If I can load a couple of drivers per horn, It would save even more space!

If the subs go under the stage, then I'll have to keep them to a maximum of 50cm high or so.

Thanks for the posts guys, It's giving me more ideas of what I want to do. Approve

Edited by Dr Burnz - 11 June 2008 at 2:48pm
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Dr Burnz Dr Burnz wrote:

WOW! Something like that would be MINT! but, maybe not so big. I guess by folding, I'd get a longer path. Hey doober, did you build that horn? Where is it? I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

That's not mine, it was built by the genius/madman known as roborg on this forum, but I think it's long gone now. There are a few threads about it somewhere, search for 'ravehorn'.

Jody- does that horn ever come out to play? I'd love to hear it sometime if you use it around here.
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>