Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how can i run amplifier at 2ohm? Help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how can i run amplifier at 2ohm? Help please
    Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:01pm
The specs on this Amplifer say 800 watts at 2ohms. But am not quite sure how to do this now as the amp specs say the speakon outputs are designed for 4 to 8 ohm operation. 

The back of the amp has XLR through outputs along with speakon outputs. I have 2 pairs of 4 ohm speakers which i will connect in parallel. Making the speaker impedance go down to stable 2 ohms.

Can i use the Speakons to still connect to the amp even though the specs say speakons are for 4-8Ω operation. Here are the specs

1. HPF / LPF / Full range Mode Switch: A 100Hz LPF / HPF for driving subwoofers or mid / hi enclosures. This allows the amplifier to be used in an active bi-amplified system without any additional hardware. Switch to LPF for a subwoofer, HPF for a mid/hi or to Fullrange to bypass the filter entirely. 

2. XLR Input: Balanced XLR input for connection to +4dBu line level sources. 

3. XLR THRU Output: Balanced XLR output to facilitate parallel wired loudspeaker arrays. 

4. SPEAKON Output: For connection to passive loudspeakers, rated for 4-8Ω operation

How would i connect the parallel wired speakers using the XLR through outputs or can i just connect the parallel wired speakers through the speakons? 

Do most amps run at 2 ohms through speakons as most amps do not have XLR through outputs?

Which would be the best way? If somebody can help

Edited by JAH - 10 November 2017 at 3:07pm
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:06pm
I remember asking this questions years ago! 

An amplifier will run as long as it is plugged in and has speaker connected to it. The impedance its 'runs at' depends on the impedance of the speakers plugged in.

I don't see why you couldn't plug them in but in general 2ohm loads are a bad idea on cheaper amps. More chance of overheating and sounds worse. If you can avoid  it don't do it it. If you do be careful and keep an eye on things. 

JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:11pm
If i run the 2 ohm load at low volumes not too loud would this stop the overheating?

How would i wire speakers through the XLR through outputs? 

Does this XLR through output have a variety of functions it can be used for?
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:14pm
The XLR outputs are for linking to other amplifiers, it's just a copy of the line level signal you are putting into the amplifier. 

Doesn't sound like this amp is designed to run at 2ohms, most are not and very few can really do it. And even then it may not be desirable way to run things. 

Why do you need to run all 4 speakers? 
If you are going to run them with the sound low, would you not be better off running 2 speakers at a normal level?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 3:32pm
all these posts are the posts of a man who's maybe slowly realising he's going to have to spend a bit more than he thought, sadly.

many of us regard 2ohm use as emergency use, and not really a long term plan. as i think was explained in one of your other thread.

sol is talking sense there...
 Post Reply Post Reply