Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do horn subs sound indoors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by BuddhaFlows BuddhaFlows wrote:

Is the TSW718 not a double 18 cab though. Aren’t BR the industry standard now? Why wouldn’t they work well for the music types I listed?

Yes it is. But there are free plans for single 18 BPH just like it, or close.
Maybe you should take a look at Cubo18 also. 
Has a nice thump to it and still goes fairly low. And compact box. 

Some years ago i used 8 Cubo15 for a hardstyle gig in a large club (up to 1100 guests). Center stacked them all and hammered them all night. A bit more LF response would have been great, but oh my they kicked alot and hard!

In my opinion, BR are just too slow sounding. They don't have that nice controlled thump you get from a horn. 

BuddhaFlows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 7:40pm
I thought cubos were BR as well or am I wrong. Will look into them further. It’s all so confusing Confused. Also what advantages does the cubo18 have over the cubo15. 
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 7:44pm
Please throw away your brain in the waste. 
He ask for punisher so it’s a closed horn
When horn couple together they improve both the high end and the low end. 
Try hd15 f118 f215 turbo721 single vs 6 stack. 

If your reflex sound slow it’s a matter of:
1. Headroom 
2. Cone weight
3. Xover and eq 

Do you want an all round cab, easy to use without hassle of eq, scalable, that can trow 40Hz with “authority” without using at least 4 bins? Use BR or Tapped 

Do you want dB to get high during your ketamine trip? Use horn and forget the problems. 

Horn is a difficult but useful devices in the right hand. 

Then, if he ask to which bin to do indoor venue, I suggest to use br or tapped  because unless it is not an install he would not spend 2 hours every week to do measurements to each room he have to fill. 

Work and try. 

Edit. 
Cubo are tapped. I suggest to build tham15 instead of cubo15 because they sound tighter and more controlled. Great bin to small purpose but 4/6 of this have enough authority to fill a small club with smiles

Edited by Besa - 16 May 2023 at 7:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Besa Besa wrote:

Please throw away your brain in the waste. 
He ask for punisher so it’s a closed horn
When horn couple together they improve both the high end and the low end. 
Try hd15 f118 f215 turbo721 single vs 6 stack. 

If your reflex sound slow it’s a matter of:
1. Headroom 
2. Cone weight
3. Xover and eq 

Do you want an all round cab, easy to use without hassle of eq, scalable, that can trow 40Hz with “authority” without using at least 4 bins? Use BR or Tapped 

Do you want dB to get high during your ketamine trip? Use horn and forget the problems. 

Horn is a difficult but useful devices in the right hand. 

Then, if he ask to which bin to do indoor venue, I suggest to use br or tapped  because unless it is not an install he would not spend 2 hours every week to do measurements to each room he have to fill. 

Work and try. 

Edit. 
Cubo are tapped. I suggest to build tham15 instead of cubo15 because they sound tighter and more controlled. Great bin to small purpose but 4/6 of this have enough authority to fill a small club with smiles

So what about puns vs tham15 / cubo15 vs BR like Sub18?
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:21pm
Answer at the following questions so we can suggest you the right choice. 
1. How much money do you have?
2. Where you’ll use the subs?
3. Which are the tops?
4. How much space/people do you have to cover? Indoor/outdoor
5. How can you carry your sound system? 
6. How much people to move the sound system?

a modern 2x18” br (one with 3.5kw program strong motor high bl) will outperform the punisher with the right amp. 

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:29pm
I would forget the puns. It's a rather tricky build to start with. And 

Forgot all about tham. That could be a good alternative also. I haven't heard tham15, but tham12 is a little wonder. Great design.

2 tham15 below 1 Orbit 4 could end up as a nice little system, easy to upscale later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:31pm
1. Can afford to pay £350-400 per sub. And then whatever is needed for amp.
2. Indoors including warehouses, bunkers, commercial buildings like office blocks and such. Also outdoors in fields / forests.
3. I was thinking of some Orbital 4s
4. Don’t know the space as each venue will change, but aim to cover 200 people with some naughty bass. 
5. Van, can tow a trailer as well. 
6. Not sure but at minimum 3. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:32pm
Noted. So would you say 1 Orbital 4 per 2 Tham15 then?

Edited by BuddhaFlows - 16 May 2023 at 8:32pm
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:44pm
I’ve got exactly this combination
2x Orbit 4 neo 
2x Tham15 loaded with 15tbx100 

1 and 1 sound lovely, never tried 1 and 2 but for sure it will be better. 

You need at least 6 channel of amp. 
Don’t economize on amp choiche. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:05pm
For sure. I think i’d go for the soundgear saturn 10 dsp for the orbital 4s and then a pl380 for sub duty. 
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:43pm
Good choices 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:45pm
Did you make your tham 15’s your self?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>