Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do u safely extend a 3meter ally bar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

One last go..... best solution

External extensions - interesting, I would have thought not as tidy as internal but may help with support more? 
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:49pm
Thanks very much for that, I guess with relation to my transport problem, a length of 44 mm pipe would fit inside the main pole so it has to be worth considering as a temporary solution.

Cheers

Kev
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:01pm
You're very welcome.... I came across it while looking up goal post truss for something else

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:43pm
I do like the idea of the goal post truss but you are limited by the size of sections unlike a wind up stand.

I bought a 1.5 m long trunk recently, I have been very close to drilling a couple of holes in it and using the wind up stands with the tripods removed to stop the trips.

Edited by kevin tyler - 16 November 2017 at 11:44pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by kevin tyler kevin tyler wrote:

I do like the idea of the goal post truss but you are limited by the size of sections unlike a wind up stand.

I bought a 1.5 m long trunk recently, I have been very close to drilling a couple of holes in it and using the wind up stands with the tripods removed to stop the trips.

Goal post is just a name... it just becuase it looks like a goal. You can do what I linked to in the video and use your wind up tripods. Jobs a Good'un!!

....just use light weight LED fixtures to keep the stress across the bar at a minimum

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:47pm
Sorry I was referring to those sectional versions with the very narrow but long tube bases,

Those bases look handy, does anyone sell them seperately, so you could drop the main part of a speaker or light stand in ?

Cheers

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 17 November 2017 at 12:52pm
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 6:19pm
The "double spigot" you were referring to does exist and is known as joint pin. Doughty sell them though you will get them cheaper elsewhere.

I am no doubt stating the obvious but, the longer the length of scaff between the supports, the less weight it can hold. I don't know what the SWL for your particular scaff but here is a link to the Doughty specs for their barrel pipe.
You will note that they don't offer specs for more than 3m and I suspect the load wouldn't be worth it up to that point. Although they don't say, I would assume that they are talking about a single length. So I reckon you are stuck with a maximum span of 3m between your stands and your fixtures wouldn't cause any stress. You could possibly extend that by adding extension of around 1m outside the stands giving you up to 5m. I have done this with very light fixtures on the outside but I have no safety specs and it doesn't fix your problem with the stands getting in your way. Ultimately, you will only fix it by using tank traps and (for those who will challenge this) they aren't too much different in stability to a tripod stand if you get your calculator out - plus you can stand back line gear on them.

Down with signatures!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 9:11am
Thanks guys, thanks jasonstry,

As I said it’s just 7 led fittings which are very light, 48 mm appears the standard size for these pins which is too big, so eventually I’m going to go with a 1.5 m length of 44 mm od pipe with half a meter bolted inside the 50 mm pipe I think.

I won’t overload it I promise. And if it falls it falls on me and my mate not the punters.

Cheers
Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 18 November 2017 at 10:24am
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Jasonstry Jasonstry wrote:

Ultimately, you will only fix it by using tank traps and (for those who will challenge this) they aren't too much different in stability to a tripod stand if you get your calculator out - plus you can stand back line gear on them.

Don't know what tank traps you're using but my Doughty ones are massively different in this regard to my ST132 stands. I wouldn't be using tank traps for bases on a goal post full stop really.

I think Kevin should be using ladder truss personally, its not really much more bulky than single bars, and he could carry shorter lengths to assist with transporting.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:34pm
Thinking about this, why not just use 2 x T-bars and put 4 lights on one and the other 3 on the other. You can then 'spread your legs' to the maximum your stage will allow.

Something like this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_ts_120_cross_bar.htm?ref=search_rslt_t+bar_293504

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 2:12pm
Hi guys

It’s 3 spots equi distant either side of a mirror ball type gizmo. So it has to be a goal post.

Originally I made some 70 by 70 cm wooden tank traps out of 40 mm ply and this worked ok but it was wobbly if I didn’t tie the top bar to something solid to stop it falling over.

I took the tripod off my stands and used an M 20mm recess plate and gizmo from k and m but it was far from ideal.

Cheers.

Cheers

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 7:28pm
"It’s 3 spots equi distant either side of a mirror ball type gizmo. So it has to be a goal post."

Ok, that will restrict your options. I´d then agree with Norty and go with the ladder truss.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>