Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how have i managed to do this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how have i managed to do this?
    Posted: 03 April 2009 at 3:22am
needed to reinstall windows as the computers packing in.
it reinstaled fine but now its giving me the option of dual booting with one version of windows that works and the other says it cant operate without the required system files and asks to reinstall, on top of that its now running slower than when i started, any ideas?

bearing in mind motherboard and cpu are getting on for a decade old doesnt need to be lightning running youtube would be nice though. or is it now time to resign it to a glorified ipod?

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 10:26am
You didn't re-install it properly. Correct proceedure.
 Back-up everything.
 Boot from Windows dosk, format partition etc. Anyhow, make a not of which one it boots from, is it the forst or the second in the list. I'm guessing first. Go to control panel, system properties, advanced, start-up & recovery, settings, edit.

You need iot to look like this (ish)
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
You will have another line underneath. Delete it. CAREFUL though, and only if it's the second one in the list that wont boot.
 Best option, get all your stuff off and post back & tell you how to do it properly tonight.

It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply