Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much power does my sound system need?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much power does my sound system need?
    Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:26am
Hi, probably a stupid question, but I tried google and didn't come up with anything.

I'm bringing my sound system to a festival and they are asking me how much power I need.

How do I know how much power I need for the sound?

I'll either bring my current system which is 4xdouble 18" and 4x15"tops... or

6x18"scoops 4x15"Kicks and 4xtops.

Most likely powered by 3xCVR amps.

I'm a bit lost here. Still a total noob.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 9:37am
First of All, we dont know anything about your system. Only how many boxes and what driver sizes you use.

You need to add more information..
What drivers you use? What amplifiers you are using?
How many people Will you be covering?
How big a area do you need to cover?

If only 200 pp is attending the festival, and you bring gear for 1000 pp, you dont need full power.. logically.

More information yields a more precise answer :)
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 11:16am
I would add up the maximum current draw on all the equipment you intend to take (from manufacturers specification) add 10% then round up to the nearest supply size.

In the UK we use 16A, 32A, 63A, 125A supplys.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 2:08pm
I did two things,  both of which were helpful to me. 

1) calculate it.
2) actually measure it.
Buy a clamp meter. They're not expensive, under £25 from screwfix. 

I made an extention lead with some of the outer sheathing  removed just for test purposes. (Im sure one of the electrical engineers will tell me this isn't safe and there's a better way to do it...)

Then next time you set the rig up put the clamp meter on the cable and see how many amps it's actually pulling. Turn it up to 11 and play your heaviest tunes. Set the meter to read max draw and after a few test tunes you'll get an accurate idea of the real world draw of your rig,  as you actually use it.  

Edited by JonB67 - 07 January 2020 at 2:08pm
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2020 at 4:45pm
Great, thanks for the replies so far Smile All my gear is in storage, but I'll see if I can find documentation on it. For the scoop rig I'm building, I don't even really know what amps etc I will use, but when I test it I'll be sure to also see how much power it pulls with a clamp meter.

Post Reply Post Reply