Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how much will 4 pd186 cover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much will 4 pd186 cover?
    Posted: 26 February 2011 at 5:24pm
I'm having a gig with about 400 ppl (inside), and was thinking using 2 pd186 per side. I have 2x QSC K12 and 2x MT121. What will be the best placement of tops? is it enough bass?
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 5:44pm
What cabs are the 18's in?
It just is.
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 5:47pm
The PD186 is in the pd186 cabinets
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 5:50pm
all depends how much bass you want/need. everyone has different ideas/preferences as to how much is enough or too little. what kind of music will be playing? what kind of capacity venues do you normally play at and what do you take with you?
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 5:56pm
For a normal sociable night, house music etc. Fine.
For Dubstep madness, no chance, double it.
Don't stack the bins, try to keep all four coupled to the floor, then put your MT's up on something else.
IMHO
It just is.
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 7:09pm
+1, could try corner loading the 186s aswel, depending on how high you crossing them at!
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Aztor Aztor wrote:

do you mean the 186horn. ?
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

do you mean the 186horn. ?

yes. The one that has plans on this page.
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 4:58pm
So if i gather 4 186 horns in a single stack it will be better? I also have 1 g-sub(build for testing. loaded with Pd186) i can put on top of the 186horns. Will that be the best option? I don't think i'm able to raise the MT121 higher up. The tweeters will be about 2m up in the air. Will that be enough? Do I need the K12's? or will the 2xMT121 fix it?

In my opinion the K12 and Mt121 are very much the same sound(- spl etc.). So they can be used in the same rig.

I think the room will be 300-700 m2. 400ppl

Thanks! Smile
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 10:59am
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Don't stack the bins, try to keep all four coupled to the floor, then put your MT's up on something else.
IMHO

My experience of 1850 horns is that they are louder with all horn mouths together on their sides. 2 high and 2 wide.

I would use 3 per side for 400 people. If I only had 4, I would stack them as I suggested in the middle and put the mid-tops on platforms on either side of the room.

like this:

me so horny, me love you long throw.
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 12:33pm
How high should the tops be placed?
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 7:16pm

How high should the tops be placed?

hi erlend. :)

as far as im away its good to get the compression drivers above peoples heads so get the comps about seven feet from the floor (unless your doing a party for midgets. then it would be about four feet from the floor) the reason this is done is high frequencies dont travel as far as bass frequencies when they hit the croud.also  i guess the people at the front dont want to get a earfull straight from a high power compression driver. Ouch

please anyone correct me if im wrong. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>