Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How suitable are X-tro for acoustic music?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How suitable are X-tro for acoustic music?
    Posted: 07 December 2011 at 10:46pm
What would X-tro be like for acoustic music, like traditional Irish music, or jazz? anyone have any experience?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:20am
no idea, never heard any.. but for the money you'd pay to load a pair, i'd start hustling this guy... http://www.adverts.ie/1169258
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:29am
Not ideal, get a load of really nice BMS reflex.
Abe The Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:47am
good find cravings
Abe The Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:48am
where are you based? are you into pro audio?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 1:02am
dublin, have a few rigs of stuff i've built myself / old stuff i've fixed up... electronic dj stuff in pubs etc..
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 8:25am
I have heard the X-tro a few times and while a good speaker, it would not be my first choice for acoustic/traditional music. 

I think you will find that it is the wrong size format for what you wan to do, It's a big speaker. 
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 12:26pm
I thought I'd test it out, I played a bit of recorded acoustic suff (Lauryn Hill MTV acoustic) earlier and to be honest it sounded pretty good, the x-tro covers all the range and vocals were sounding very crisp and clear through the 8 and compression. Played a bit of Chet Baker through them and again sounded very nice.

BUT......

What it costs to load and build an x-tro, just to playback acoustic stuff you would probably be better off buying a smaller three way speaker. But if you've got the cash I'd say go for it.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 1:52pm
Sorry but the 15s on an Xtro are far too honky and boxy for this kind of music, good, tight reflex is what people will prefer and what the artists will expect. Just look at Meyer for examples of this. Plus it'll be a much simpler build and cheaper to boot.

Edited by toastyghost - 08 December 2011 at 1:52pm
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 2:44pm
I think the main issue is, where would you be going with such a large box. 

I would image that the size of gigs in that music category that require a that size of box, would be looking for a named brand...

godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Speaker Sol Speaker Sol wrote:

I think the main issue is, where would you be going with such a large box. 

I would image that the size of gigs in that music category that require a that size of box, would be looking for a named brand...

Very true, I've played in many jazz gigs and the audience numbers aren't huge, for size of venues and amount of people etc you'd be better off with a pair of Impulse 4t or something similar
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 1:15am
If you linearise the frequency plot of the Punisher they will be very good for this kind of music, or any other kind, as long as you don't need output below 40Hz. The X-Tros on the other hand aren't ideal for this kind of music. the lowmids are strong, but a bit too muddy for my taste.
 Post Reply Post Reply