Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get more crisp clear highs from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Bear in mind those are Midrange Horns. They were not designed to offer a lot of SPL above 10 kHz.

I'm not sure this is strictly true. The limitations of those horns will be seen more as you decrease in frequency to a point.

But I agree with the drivers bolted onto them being possibly unable to reproduce as much HF content as is hoped for.

Those Peavey's mimics the Electrovoice SM 120A in terms of design concept. No matter what you do, they will not deliver anything significant above 10 kHz. It is very evident that you are lacking high frequencies when using such a horn solely for high frequencies. They shine best from 500 Hz - 2 kHz. The Peavey offers a wide dispersion (around 100 degrees and higher) like the Electrovoice. However, it comes at a cost of lack high frequencies. It is a combination of a Hyperbolic and Radial if I remember correctly.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:56pm
ok then, now since that's established, I would like to address my previous post please which was:

So maybe best I simply add a good tweeter to the existing internal horn? If yes, I don't want to go with a 3way setup so how would this work, connect the tweeter to the horn wire on the internal crossover?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

ok then, now since that's established, I would like to address my previous post please which was:

So maybe best I simply add a good tweeter to the existing internal horn? If yes, I don't want to go with a 3way setup so how would this work, connect the tweeter to the horn wire on the internal crossover?

That would not be a problem.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:15pm
Thanks, let me look into different options, will get back here.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:28pm
Double post

Edited by csg - 03 June 2020 at 7:30pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

Any constant-directivity horn (and a few that aren't strictly CD) will exhibit a declining HF response. It's the physics behind how they work.

Get the measurement mic out, take some curves, and EQ it. It really is that simple.

Chris

Those Peavey horns are radial not constant directivity, and as such will beam progressively as frequency rises.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 8:01pm

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Bear in mind those are Midrange Horns. They were not designed to offer a lot of SPL above 10 kHz.

I'm not sure this is strictly true. The limitations of those horns will be seen more as you decrease in frequency to a point.

But I agree with the drivers bolted onto them being possibly unable to reproduce as much HF content as is hoped for.

Those Peavey's mimics the Electrovoice SM 120A in terms of design concept. No matter what you do, they will not deliver anything significant above 10 kHz. It is very evident that you are lacking high frequencies when using such a horn solely for high frequencies. They shine best from 500 Hz - 2 kHz. The Peavey offers a wide dispersion (around 100 degrees and higher) like the Electrovoice. However, it comes at a cost of lack high frequencies. It is a combination of a Hyperbolic and Radial if I remember correctly.

Best Regards,

Why does the dispersion come at the cost of high frequencies? I don't see an engineering reason as to why.

It may be that the drivers which are typically mated to the horns can't reproduce them, especially in their original as-sold configuration. But given the right driver I don't see why the horn couldn't.

Discussion of directivity with frequency is also another matter.

If anything the logical reason for lack of highs (ignoring directivity) is that the horn looks engineered to reach a certain low frequency cut off, and drivers useful down there (especially more vintage ones) would presumably struggle higher as a trade off.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 12:08am
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:49am
From those 5 it would be CP22.
Otherwise I would use CP21/F
Either which, a crossover @ 8500 Hz with a 18dB/oct slope is the ticket for them.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

From those 5 it would be CP22.
Otherwise I would use CP21/F
Either which, a crossover @ 8500 Hz with a 18dB/oct slope is the ticket for them.
Just do this, and run it active. 
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:32pm
Ok guys, will look into this, thanks!
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 12:42pm
Just clear one thing up for me please anyone.

I am not understanding why switching from a 22"x12" horn to a bigger 33" wide horn would not give more highs than the smaller version? Why in this case doesn't size matter or what's the purpose then of manufacturers building larger sized horns, it is because the larger the horn the more coverage you get but not more frequencies?

Even with tweeters a friend of mine has these larger than normal tweeters so why make the larger sized tweeters?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>