Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Phase match/correct speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Phase match/correct speakers?
    Posted: 04 March 2024 at 7:45pm
I have been reading up on phase for ages now trying to learn it all. I now understand what it is and I find it quite interesting. I'm just really struggling on how to correct it on a sound system. I have googled loads and the main things that come up is for home theatre or cars.

From everything I have read and watched about how to do it, this video seems logically the correct way to me:
But again he is doing it for home theatre instead. I assume the principals are the same though? If so then that's great, I could follow that but would still need answers to a few questions.

1. Would it be done outdoors, using ground plane measurements? Mic equal distance between sections.

2. I use Tham12 subs, so I have taken the horn path length and set the delay of the mids and tops to the horn path length in milliseconds (I think it was 5.6ms)  ..So now when doing the phase, if I need to delay the mids or tops for phase correcting I guess I just add any extra delay to the 5.6ms that they are already delayed?

3. When setting the crossovers, if I find I get the frequency response I am after by using different filter types, slopes and frequencys for the HP & LP between 2 sections, but it's more out of phase, am I better off choosing the same frequency, type and slope for HP & LP and then adding a EQ boost where needed instead?

For example:
I haven't measured this yet just been playing around to learn and see what happens but;  I have currently set the LP of my sub on my portable speaker to LR36 at 170hz and the HP of the midtops to BW24 at 140hz. The sum of these two have given me a nice boost in the kick region and sounds way better, but I can now hear it must be out of phase, (I can hear it's sounds like it's coming from 2 separate places) Whereas before I had the HP & LP both set at LR24 160hz it sounded better phase wise, but also a lot flatter the kick region.

Any help or answers greatly appreciated! Cheers 👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 06 March 2024 at 11:41am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2024 at 8:26pm
Just came across this which pretty much answers question 2 for me I think. Very interesting and also may help someone in the same boat.

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2024 at 10:11pm
After spending the afternoon in the garden with the measurement mic, rew and the speakers. I pretty much answered my own questions using a mixture of that video and link I posted.

I used ground plane measurements with the mic on solid ground and the speaker tilted aimed central to the mic. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be done but it seemed to work well and was really interesting to play around and see what does what when changing crossover types and seeing how it affected phase too. Definitely sounds loads better now I am really impressed! 

I am sill interested in any answers or opinions as it can all help. Cheers 👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 08 March 2024 at 10:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply