Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to recycle the panels from old dmx led lights.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to recycle the panels from old dmx led lights.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to recycle the panels from old dmx led lights.
    Posted: 04 June 2021 at 3:20pm
hi guys,

Long time no see, 

I have a couple of those jumbo led panels, the working 12v  psu, and the non working led menu controller board which is still putting out the 12v and the 5v that the leds need. The input to the led panel is labeled 12v, 5v, ground, clk and SO or maybe SQ.

just wondering what I can do to turn the leds on, I hate throwing stuff away.

Hope you are all surviving this bloody horrible period of inactivity, 

Cheers 

Kev 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 5:41pm
Maybe post some pictures and someone can work it out for you.   Smile
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 6:16pm
Yes I will. 

Thanks Smile
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 6:56pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 6:59pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 11:27pm
There must be some IC's on there as well, can you see if you can read the markings off them?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 7:58am
Yes - the CLK (& +5V) line would imply some sort of processing going on there.

Check the continuity between the LED right by the power connector and the 12V pin. Also the one next along - and the ones near R2 (the right hand pins). My guess is that the LEDs are connected to 12V and then strobed by pulling the cathodes down somehow. Where does that GND line go?

More pictures of the board?  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 8:01am
My initial thought was just shift registers but that would normally require a strobe line in addition to the clock and data.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 9:15am
Yes - the SD line??

And it would also be important to do an initial check to see if there are any dead LEDS. They seem to be wired in groups in series.

More photos are needed.

Edited by Earplug - 05 June 2021 at 9:18am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 10:47am
Thanks guys, the unit has never been used, it came from thomann and had a slight issue with a loose connector, they asked for a video, which I supplied and they sent a new one and told me to bin what I had. the psu gives out 12v and it’s fine, the 2 led panels are probably fine too as they did work , the menu board is sort of working as it’s giving out 12 and 5v but the display led and menu buttons do nothing. . I thought there would be a simple way to just make the leds come on, like a torch or something. I’m going to take a few pictures later thanks guys. 

Kev 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 11:38am
So I realise the two panels have four zones each with a pair of chips controlling the leds. I took a photo but it’s still not clear. I think I might just use the 12v psu for radio mics and bin the rest. 

Thanks guys 

Kev 

Edited by kevin tyler - 05 June 2021 at 11:46am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 12:10pm
"MBI6023 ∣ RGB LED Driver IC ∣ Architecture Lighting- LED Strip, Mesh Display ∣ Macroblock" https://www.mblock.com.tw/en/Driver_ICs/LED_Driver_ICsdetail/2/MBI6023?Open=48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>