Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to stop a sub from trying to walk off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to stop a sub from trying to walk off?
    Posted: 20 October 2017 at 12:12am
I have two single 18TBX100 reflex loaded subs, I have used subs exactly the same as this perviously and because they weigh less than a 218 reflex box they start moving around pretty quick when you start getting close to its RMS power consumption. 

I have rented L'acoustics SB28's from SSE in the past and these boxes came with really smart personalised rubber matting with the hire company name etched out with very good non-slip properties and protective qualities. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or where this sort of thing could be obtained? Or am i better off sticking to multiple rubber feet? Confused
If anyone's seen Texas Ranger George Herold or Ranger Sergeant Richard Ware tell them I'm still looking for them...
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 4:25am
We used to use car rubber mats, quite sticky rubber.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Zik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:58am
Rubber feet never fail, or ratchet strap to a pallet.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:34am
surprised no one's suggested more bracing yet. the less the panels vibrate, the more effective it is as a speaker.

just sayin.. but yeah. there's rubber non slip stuff you can get cheap in home diy type places. works well.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 11:14am
+1000

If they walk, that means bottom panel is vibrating too much. So they basically start jumping.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 1:34pm
isnt it also a weight vs output issue?
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 6:06pm
Rarely.

You can also use blutack lol. Done that twice.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:24pm
Definitely means the subs need more bracing.

I'm very pleased with the twin 18" design.  When running hard, the only place you could put your pint without it walking off onto the floor was on top of the sub itself!

Non slip tool mat is a good solution:

However, be warned.  DO NOT use it for installs...  Venue I used to work at used it between their 3 F2B's, ratchet strapped them up and left them for a few months.  When we tried to dismantle the stack we were left with a 6x15" bass bin!  We were lifting and dropping them, using crowbars and it took a lot of brute force and ignorance to separate them.

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 7:59pm
Revered loop of gaffer abut 3" long? in 4 corners
It's everything, not everythink!
Sam Bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

surprised no one's suggested more bracing yet. the less the panels vibrate, the more effective it is as a speaker.

just sayin.. but yeah. there's rubber non slip stuff you can get cheap in home diy type places. works well.

Its not to late to add more, all be it retrospectively. This is something that I considered while making them, i use an inherently strong and well braced design with a 25mm baffle to try and avoid this. 

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

+1000

If they walk, that means bottom panel is vibrating too much. So they basically start jumping.

Marjan, I have seen the internal bracing I believe your responsible for put in the BA218. WOW. 

Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I'm very pleased with the twin 18" design.  When running hard, the only place you could put your pint without it walking off onto the floor was on top of the sub itself!

Which design is this? 

Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Non slip tool mat is a good solution:

I wanted something FAR more heavy duty, something that could be permanently installed on the boxes.
If anyone's seen Texas Ranger George Herold or Ranger Sergeant Richard Ware tell them I'm still looking for them...
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:35pm
i've seen boxes screwed into wooden floors before.
White Noise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Noise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 8:38pm
As mentioned, if your subs walking around, its probably resonating the panels too much and needs more bracing. The box should transmit all that energy into the air.

+1 for the pint on the box too haha :) 

Someones comment at the bottom of their posts on here is a good one... 

''A true subwofer should be the only thing in the room not shaking.''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>