Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to tell amp clip point

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to tell amp clip point
    Posted: 25 December 2019 at 6:25pm
I havr a question how do you tell an amp's clip point? I know how to tell the true clip point of the rest of my equipment by running a 400hz sinewave though the dj mixer and then using a piezo  connected to the output of the mixer and then DSP. But I don't know how to do that with the amps because obviously the amp would blow the piezo to pieces. Would I use a oscilloscope and then touch the speaker terminals on the amp with the probes?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2019 at 7:40pm
Ah.. The little red clipping led will light up?

I hope you are not planning to gain stage everything so it all hits clipping at the same time. This is a terrible idea, the only piece of equipment that should ever go anywhere near the point of signal clipping is the power amp.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2019 at 8:39pm
I'm just curious because some people say that the red light flickering is telling you you're getting close to clipping but being on a lot is clipping. I was actually just curious to be honest.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2019 at 8:43pm
Stick a silly scope one it.
blah blah blah blah blah......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2019 at 8:54pm
It's not for gain staging it's more to see how much headroom the RMX4050HD amps I use have. It's just curiosity, I never clip my system and in all the years i've been doing dance music parties since 2001 i've never blown a driver. 

Edited by Fred_dibna - 25 December 2019 at 8:56pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2019 at 10:57pm
Unfortunately one of the problems you'll have here is that each amplifier manufacturer uses a different circuit to drive the clip light on their amplifiers and some are more accurate than others.

The best ones are those that detect an increase in distortion on the output.  Crown Macrotechs had this a long time ago, however they decided not to have a dedicated 'Clip' light.  The C-Audio Pulse amplifiers also have a very accurate clip detection method.

Other amplifiers use circuits which measure how close the output signal is to the supply rail but although this can work fine, some designs, especially cheaper amps have a very poor implementation of this which doesn't take into account variations of the supply rails or even differences due to load impedance.

The best method as suggested above is to use a signal generator, dummy load and an oscilloscope to find out how the clip light is related to the actual clip point and also how well the limiting circuits (if available) work.  The effectiveness of clip limiters also varies massively between amp designs.

In the case of QSC then the good news is the clip light is fairly accurate and also the clip limiters are reasonably useful to.  So if you're running the RMX4050 then is is true that an occasional flash of the clip light means that you're just running out of headroom.

I actually set my system processor limiters a dB or so above the point where the amps either clip or limit so that I can use the full headroom available but any actual clipping of the waveform is kept to a minimum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2019 at 9:40am
Thanks for that great reply mate. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply