Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to turn on a car audio dsp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to turn on a car audio dsp
    Posted: 14 April 2023 at 10:39am
Not sure how to properly phrase the question to ssearch but how would you tuen on car processors.  Obvisously they are designed to come on when you turn on/off your sound system and dont have a Switch.

There are a few audio dsp processor that seem to be repackaged redesigns of the same product coming out of brazil.  From what i can find theres Stetsom, PVR and Taramps offering the same dsp for car audio.

I know nothing of car audio so you'll have to bear with me.  They have a REM input that connects to the car radio/audio player that tuens it on/off.  how would you get that working out of a car enviroment.  How do you turn it on/off

These dsp's seem like good value and would like one over a minidsp for its live hands on approach.

thanks
puzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2023 at 10:42am
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2023 at 1:13pm
Usually the Remote Terminal needs to be linked to 12V positive 

Just Google
car amplifier remote wire voltage

:-)

puzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2023 at 2:31pm
thats it, knew there would be a simple search, thanks
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2023 at 2:43pm
For my first systems I hard wired Remote input to 12v and relied on just plugging in the battery to switch on everything 

Now I have the amps switched, but DSP still hard wired
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2023 at 12:04am
Well I have a Stetsom STX2448 - and I'm pleased with it so far.

Switch it on ? Just wire a small switch (can be a really small one - no current passing at all I think - just has to pull a pin high somewhere) between 12V line and REM.

I'd say once you get your head around the somewhat strange output labelling/connectors, it works really well. There are 4 "stereo" pairs for the 4 outputs. The 2 inputs (also labelled as L and R) can be assigned to outputs as L, R, or L+R - now I'm still not clear myself whether "L+R" means "stereo" or L and R summed to mono. But I found a way to do what I want with it (just a 2-way Xover really). Navigating around the menus is a bit wacky, but you get used to it.

I'd say it works well for battery systems - wants 10-16V supply, uses about 400-500mA (so about 5-6W) - which is actually quite a bit (as much as a 2020 amplifier playing full welly :-) ). Connections are all RCA unbalanced - fine for me with short signal cables and convenient as most of my other gear just uses RCA.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply