Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How would one mic' this lot up ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would one mic' this lot up ?
    Posted: 06 September 2012 at 11:18am

So the tech spec said, Don Conreaux & gongs six mic's 

Then this lot piled onstage with a few more muso's out of shot, keyboards & brass section..  

A splendid collection of of resonant, percussive and wind instruments that defied all attempts to make coherent. 

Separation was almost non existent apart from shrill things like the penny whistles. 

I had small condensers on the wind instruments, two overheads & a couple of boundaries on the gongs, SM57's on various drums, Beta58's on vox and more condensors on the singing bowls.

None of it helped by the fact that each performers would alternatively use their mic' as a vox or instrument mic depending on the tune.

I suspect i am going to have to do it all again next year so anyone any good hints & tips on massed gong mic'ing ?        

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Creative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 11:32am
yes, don't do it!
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana!
DrDantastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrDantastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 11:50am
One stereo pair of good condensers (Neumann etc.) and vox mics? Maybe far micing might serve you better! I hate gigs like the above so I'm probably not the best to comment!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 12:56pm
Dedicated vocal mics with performers asked to use them as such? Otherwise sounds like a potential cacophony. I think the way you did it is the best I could come up with. 
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 5:05pm
Wireless headset vocal mics for each 'performer' who sings. Close mic everything else, then a nice pair of ambients.

Or 6 x Schoeps or similar accross the front of the stage, plus the vox mics.
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 10:02pm

What is the attitude of the band? From the photo it doesn’t look a large venue and the audience seems to be seated.  Unless the aim is some ethnic death metal, amplify (mic up) as little as possible.

Reinforcement is definitely the name of the game, with the minimum of amplification used to balance the sound. Keep it as quiet as possible. Even if you choose to mic everything you don’t have to turn them on. In that size venue, if the instruments are loud enough for distance micing to be effective, then they are probably loud enough anyway.

If you are going to be working with the band regularly talk to them. If they think that you are on the same page as them regarding their sound, they are more likely to be open to suggestions and methods you use. In my experience musicians tend to be conservative and like doing things the way they always have. If something like a headset mic has not been requested, or is carried around by the performer, then they are not likely to want to use one.

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

What is the attitude of the band? From the photo it doesn’t look a large venue and the audience seems to be seated.  Unless the aim is some ethnic death metal, amplify (mic up) as little as possible.

Reinforcement is definitely the name of the game, with the minimum of amplification used to balance the sound. Keep it as quiet as possible. Even if you choose to mic everything you don’t have to turn them on. In that size venue, if the instruments are loud enough for distance micing to be effective, then they are probably loud enough anyway.

If you are going to be working with the band regularly talk to them. If they think that you are on the same page as them regarding their sound, they are more likely to be open to suggestions and methods you use. In my experience musicians tend to be conservative and like doing things the way they always have. If something like a headset mic has not been requested, or is carried around by the performer, then they are not likely to want to use one.

What he said.
tall_mike View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 7:19pm
You're almost into hanging mics from the roof territory!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 7:45pm
Reminds me of the first time that I worked with the Chieftains from Ireland---Most of the instruments, I had never seen before, but the funniest part was watching a little guy with glsses on sat on a three legged milking stool playing what I now know is a bodrahan---still cracks me up now when I think about it.
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 11:07pm
boring jobs..everything is so simple in words and riders,until the artists arrive there..

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 7:36am
yeah,

i'd defo give everyone a specific vocal mic, probably just a decent dynamic on a stand as someone says headsets take a bit of practice and getting used to (and people not used to them always talk and forget they're always mic'd up).  Gate them all so they're only on when someone is singing.

Then a mic on each instrument that needs it, but Steve's advice is spot on doesn't look like the biggest room in the world so treat it like a Jazz/classical concert and amplify as little as possible just to get a good overall volume in the room, don't go crazy with the EQ etc try and keep it natural sounding.

And for the Gongs, only bother mic-ing up one or two. They'll give you a touch of the sound in the PA and an extra bit of volume if you need it to bring it up to the level of everything else, but no need to mic them all that'll just put too much into the PA and you'll lose the attack of the initial hit in the wash of noise.

k

Abe The Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 5:35pm
unless the onstage noise from the audience is low, the room is very dead, there is no monitors, there are very few things on stage or your only using one mic (along with most of the rest apart from the very few instruments on stage) I find close mic'ing is the way to go. 
Every mic hears every sound in the venue just at different levels, the only way of having any coherance is to improve the ratio of wanted sound in each mic, to unwanted from spill from PA, nearby instruments, room reflections etc. 
Steve B's idea is dead right, anything else you need to boost should ideally have it's own mic that has as little spill as possible, Good omni lapels taped to some instruments will actually work better than the usual 57's or even hypercardioid condensers etc as they are so close to the source that they have a much better ratio. Omni's don't have proximity effect so you have the sound a bit quicker too. Obviously this won't always work, but for the likes of a violin where the player probably won't come any closer than 4-6 inches from a pencil mic it's ideal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>