Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hpf, LPF and Xover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hpf, LPF and Xover
    Posted: 29 December 2018 at 3:19pm
Hi
I'm curious as to when a HPF and Lpf should be used. To elaborate, I understand that a hpf should be used to stop a sub trying to repordu e frequencies beyond its capability but also with an LPF to restrict the upper limit. However my question is this: do I need an lpf/hpf on kick bins where a xover is used as surely the xover points would act as hpf and lpf?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 3:25pm
Yes they do. That's EXACTLY what a crossover is, a bunch of HPF, LPF, BPF all in one box so you can adjust to your liking.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mrcheggman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 11:09am
so I don't need to set a separate hpf or lpf filter as well as the xover points?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 1:29pm
If you have an active crossover it will be built in. Although I'm not sure if all of them have a low pass for the super high frequencies... but still 99% of them will have most of the functions you want and the more you require from said cross over the more you will invest in "bigger and better"

Basic analogy crossovers will have very very basic 2 or 3 way operation. With the cut offs on a dial and "sub sonic" filters on a button to cut off ultra low frequencies.

When you switch to a digital crossover or digital speaker processor (DSP) as they are more commonly known you will find things like limiters and EQ also built in to try to obtain the most from your boxes without loads of outboard equipment needed.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 9:26am
Edit :)

Edited by freddymendez - 10 January 2019 at 11:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply