Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't know what I need!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don't know what I need!!
    Posted: 29 June 2006 at 4:09pm
I'm new on here...I ran across the site, and man am I confused.  I'm not shure which enclosure/driver is right for my setup/style.  I play heavy metal (tons of kick drum). I also provide sound for bands around a college campus, always outside.  I own 4 cerwin vega 2X15 w/horns, and am driving them with 2 crown CE2000's.  Any ideas on what would be the best for me to re-locate cars with?  Also I'm a stupid american who's not adopted the metric system yet, so is their any way to get the plans in inches?  Or do I just need to get good at using the converter I downloaded.  any help would much appreciated.

~Zeek~

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 7:44pm
for cm to inches, just devide everything by 2.54    (or 25.4 for mm to inches)

Originally posted by zeek zeek wrote:

Any ideas on what would be the best for me to re-locate cars with?

not sure what you mean?

kev
zeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:21pm
I would like to know what would be the best subwoofer enclosure to build, and also the appropriate driver that would complement my full range cerwin-vega! cabs.  I've looked at all rog's designs, and am not quite shue which one would be the most suitable enclosure for outside use (usually between 150-300 people).

and by re-locate cars, I mean produce enough air movement from a speaker enclosure feel it in your chest 50 feet, or the equivelant metric translation.

Edited by zeek - 29 June 2006 at 11:24pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:47am
LOL, i see.

really depends on your budget and transport arrangements.

for outside gigs, horn subs are generally recomended. They throw further and are more efficient so louder per watt of input. choices would be the small, compact and very loud punisher or the slightly bigger looney/1850.  These really need to be used in stack for best effect though, so they can  couple. 

Some punnishers will give you a nice kick in the chest for that many people , say 6 in a centre stack will be more than enough and leave you some room to expand in the future. You'll need to cross over pretty low to your tops, but on double 15" it shouldn't be too bad, but not heard your cabs specifically so  not sure.

kev

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 9:50am
Originally posted by zeek zeek wrote:

..and by re-locate cars, I mean produce enough air movement from a speaker enclosure to feel it in your chest 50 feet, or the equivelant metric translation.

LAb Sub. Build at least 4.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 2:48pm
Labs are very good at what they do, but its very deep bass not really much 'kick'.

As he is looking for something that gives a lot of kick, then i'd suggest a punisher or looney, or maybe even just a few double 18", though they wont go as loud as a horn on a cab per cab basis, 6 of them will still still do a job, and reflex is often concidered a more normal 'sound' for rock and band-based music.

I'd build 6 punishers. Will be cheepest option
(driver £100, wood £60ish and maybe another £40 on hardware, paint and stuff so not far above £200 per cab all done).

Stick 6 of these center stacked, 3 a side on a nice beefy amp like an infinite 8 that can do somewhere around 3-and-a-bit KW  per channel  so each cab will get between 1 and 1.5K, and people will be scared! 

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 30 June 2006 at 2:50pm
zeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 2:55pm
Thanks for all your help!!!  I've got to get to the local lumber yard.  Have a good weekend!
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 4:08am

i would go for 2x15'' horn loaded for kick drum and heavy metal.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2006 at 7:41pm
2 of HD215 would be a good option for kick drum and heavy metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply