Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I guess i'm no carpenter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtecthreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I guess i'm no carpenter
    Posted: 19 August 2008 at 3:06am
I started my 186 today.   And I failed miserably.   It's about 45% built and I feel like I should  just throw it in the fire pit out back. 

I'm pretty discouraged,  I was looking forward to eventually building 8 of these and some MT122's, but I don't think I could build 1 without making it hideously out of spec.

Any ideas?   I've lost hope and I feel like i'm truly not meant to build speakers.

-Jim

Edited by djtecthreat - 19 August 2008 at 3:06am
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 3:25am
Don't be so down.

From this post, I think you were using cordless power tools. For which cutting long even mitres can be very hard without a jig. Yes, that is the difference between the complexity of a reflex and of a horn, the mitre cuts.

Do you live near a school?
If you do, have a chat with them and see whether you can borrow their DT facilities when they're not using them. This will give you access to a table saw, which makes things much easier (even easier with a cutlist)...and maybe even a cnc if you're lucky.

If you are building 8, I would actually recommend 1850 horns which are optimised for larger stacks (anything bigger than or equal to 4), but that's another point.
Away on extended leave.
djtecthreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtecthreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 4:18am
Not using cordless tools.   But I don't have access to anything really great,  Schools wont let me get in to use stuff like this, I'm a recent graduate of a school with a very well-loaded shop, but i'd be lucky if i could visit an old teacher of mine let alone use the facilities.  I have a 10" table saw with a small deck, a circular saw, a jig saw, and a 12" compound miter chop saw.

All are decent/good brands, just not ideal for this.   I think a table saw with a large deck and a panel saw are more suited for this.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 5:00am
Where do you get your wood from? A lot of people on here get it cut complementarily or for a small fee at the shop.
Away on extended leave.
djtecthreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtecthreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 5:28am
I get it from a local hardware store (which is part of a major chain).   They would have cut it for a fee, but they use a "rip" saw or circular saw.  And I feel I can do a better cut than them.

I was able to figure out the angles, but they lack accuracy.  

Also:  I chose the 186 because I'd like to use between 1 and 3 for small venues.   The 1850 doesn't do so great unless you have 4 of them in a stack.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 11:04am
I've built some fairly complex cabs with just a handheld circular saw.  If you're not already doing it, when doing cuts which need to be accurate, clamp a guide onto the wood to keep the saw going straight.

Mitre angles depends on how good the markings on your circular saw are. Failing that, use some kind of angle measurer to set the mitre angle.

The 186's aren't too bad to build, at least you only have things sloping in one direction!  Try doing the same thing with a trapezoid cab!

Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 11:47am
Once you have set the mitre cut a scrap piece of wood then meausure the angle of the cut, then if its out adjust accordingly. My dads circular saw only has 15, 30, 45 etc and not many markings to help you, and im just about managing.

Good luck
Silas )))))) View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 11:54am
yer just stick with it and think logically, and dnt rush it, it took ages for me to build my first 2 186's. and i did it with less stuff than you, just make sure you double check all the mitres.

Good luck

Hi_Varu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hi_Varu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:38pm
first time it's hard...

Steak'n'ale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 1:52pm
I built my first speakers using a hand saw, circular saw, coping saw, drill and file. They weren't too pretty but I made sure everything was airtight so once put together they actually sounded good.

The jig shown 2 posts above is something I'm using on my current build and has made my cuts much much better and they seem to be coming on ok.

The jig I use is a flat edge from a brand new sheet of 12mm glued and screwed to another piece of 12mm. You run the inside edge of the circular saw down the flat piece on top and it leaves a perfectly flat edge that you just put right on the cut line you want to make.

If you want loadsa good building tips then I'd say read Rog's guide and buy a Bill Fitz plan. Plenty of good advice from those 2 guys.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 2:26pm
What you need to make to help yourself with right angle cuts is a jig to go with your circular saw. Find a thin bit of wood with a straight edge thats a bigger length than most of the cuts you want and glue/screw it onto another piece of wood that extends out further. Push your saw up against it and run it down and you will have made a decent self aligning jig. Hopefully this pic is easier to understand. You may need a jig for each side of your saw.

Mitre cuts are a bigger pain, need to just practise those and if in doubt cut angles slightly bigger than they should be and then slim them down.

You have a picked a pretty hefty project for your first build too, just get one right and dont worry about 3 or 4 yet! Once you have done one the others get easier.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 2:43pm
yeah first build is challenging alright. i read a lot on here before trying it. great tips in Rog's guide, and loads here in the forum. can't imagine doing it without a saw-board as described above. it was Dom's posts on these got me to make one up.

gettting mitres to turn out right, is a matter of a bit of practise, and getting to know your tools.

take your time with everything and don't be discouraged. even if you have to buy an extra sheet of wood to re cut something you got wrong, you'll still find use for the other bits, so they won't actually be wasted.

i've had loads of really frustrating moments, but it's really worth it for the first time you actually get them out somewhere and make some noise and watch people having a dance! stick with it... 8 186s is a big first project though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>