Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I'd love your opinions on my planned sound system
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'd love your opinions on my planned sound system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'd love your opinions on my planned sound system
    Posted: 18 February 2020 at 11:25pm
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and already I have found a ton of useful information, and I am looking for some input on a sound system I am constructing. 

I am putting together a small techno/house/disco setup for Burning Man this year that will service 25-50 people I'm estimating.

Currently, I have 2 Carvin 1584 pa speakers which do a great job but I want a dedicated Kick bass bin, and a dedicated sub to help the low end. After extensive research I plan on building an HD215 as the Kick bin, and a reflex 18 inch for sub bass.

I like the HD215 due to the relatively inexpensive drivers, simple design, and user feedback on sound quality, especifically for techno and other hard kick music.

I am leaning towards the reflex 18 because I already have a used 18 driver (it's a Velodyne ULD18 inch, and it needs a reconing) and I don't think the specs would match up with any of the free speaker plans I've seen.

As for the mid-top section, I don't think I have the money or time to add to that section so I'll just focus on the lows for now unless I see a really good deal somewhere.

My questions are:

would you change anything about this system?

Is there anything I'm not considering here or have overlooked?

Opinions on HD215 as kick bin for techno music?

Is one 18 inch reflex enough for this application?

All advice is welcome, thanks!
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 12:15am

if you want simple and cheap and effective get a Behringer NX4-6000 and two 18'' subs. Run one channel bridged so they get 3k between them and stereo the other two channels for your tops and use the built in xover switches. You really don't need HD's with that small an amount of people and those 400w full range unless you really want to make life harder for yourself... Just cross your subs at 150 and make sure everything has enough power.

Use matched drivers for the subs, only recone if you know what you're doing. Don't get caught on using the blown driver again if another option is actually going to work better.. make sure you've got plenty of headroom on your amps.

my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 2:35am
With dedicated sub/s the 15's in those Carvins effectively become kicks, they would be wasted doing not much at all with a HD15 in the system. I say add a pair of 18 reflex subs, second amp and a crossover of some type and call it good.
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 3:02am
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

if you want simple and cheap and effective get a Behringer NX4-6000 and two 18'' subs. Run one channel bridged so they get 3k between them and stereo the other two channels for your tops and use the built in xover switches. You really don't need HD's with that small an amount of people and those 400w full range unless you really want to make life harder for yourself... Just cross your subs at 150 and make sure everything has enough power.

Use matched drivers for the subs, only recone if you know what you're doing. Don't get caught on using the blown driver again if another option is actually going to work better.. make sure you've got plenty of headroom on your amps.

Thanks for the input, I assumed the HD215 weren't necessary however I plan on expanding this into a much larger system and substituting the Carvins for dedicated mid-tops so I don't mind making my life harder now. I'm thinking long term and I just really want a solid kick.

Another poster said that the HD215 wouldn't add much, what do you think about that? I'm sure it would give the system quite a bit more punch.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific 18" sub bass? I've been looking at the X1's.

Edited by Tucker - 19 February 2020 at 3:07am
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

With dedicated sub/s the 15's in those Carvins effectively become kicks, they would be wasted doing not much at all with a HD15 in the system. I say add a pair of 18 reflex subs, second amp and a crossover of some type and call it good.

It's probably a little redundant, but would still add to the punch wouldn't it?

Also I want to replace the Carvins with dedicated mid-tops so I'll have to build a kick bin anyways.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Tucker Tucker wrote:

Not without time alignment

Also I want to replace the Carvins with dedicated mid-tops so I'll have to build a kick bin anyways.

OK but if you build subs first you will at least have a functional system to play with.

Edited by Conanski - 19 February 2020 at 3:21am
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 3:22am

OK but if you build subs first you will at least have a functional system to play with.

that's a very good point, I'll build the sub first I think.

Do you think that 1 reflex 18 sub would be strong enough to keep up with an HD215?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 3:30am
It would have to be one serious kick ass reflex sub, anything less than a state of the art driver with 2-3kw behind it has no chance.
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 3:47am

It would have to be one serious kick ass reflex sub, anything less than a state of the art driver with 2-3kw behind it has no chance.

How about something like an X1, would that do it? 

Or 2 HD215s to help the sub notes and eq out some of the lows from the carvin to avoid any interference issues

Edited by Tucker - 19 February 2020 at 4:16am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 9:01am
Ok, x1 6TH order bandpass, HD215 short horn, Carver mid tops reflex, do you have the amps to drive all this correctly ? do you have the know how and tools to get this working together ? do you have the cash and time to see it through, seems like you are making your life difficult from the get go, build some 18" reflex subs and cross them to your Carvers and start having fun Smile see far to many people setting out with plans to build 4/5 way systems and getting no where through lack of knowledge and funds, most end up being scrapped and loosing a ton of cash, keep it simple and as cheap as possible to start with.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 9:30am
you're getting hung up on one bandwidth mate. 'Punch' is subjective. Once your 15'' in the mids is released from doing bass duty they will come alive with the kick bandwidth.

ONE SUB IS NOT ENOUGH.
Build two subs minimum. X1 are easy to build expensive to load. Basic reflex are easy to build and cheap to load. If you're considering building a bigger system then don't make any effort for burningman bar buying a pair of second hand subs to go with your tops. THEN and only then you should sit down and plan the system from the start. Trying to use the event as a lynchpin will leave you with a badly thought out system when you come to expand.

Build the subs and see how it sounds. THEN decide if you need the hd15. HD215 get heavy. Build singles.

If you keep concentrate on punch without having tested your rig piece by piece you'll have massive issues when it comes to set it up..
You cant just plug it all in and have it sound good. If you don't know how to time align your speakers, or have the option on your DPS all those HD's are going to do is make it sound flat and muddy with no real 'punch', just a dirty flopping about of the sound;. If you can align the system then maybe they'll add something but honestly? No, they'll just get in the way of that rigs sound.

I think what you actually want is a stack of hd15's and someone said you need sub under them so you are trying to work out a way of cheaping on the sub...

You'd be much better to just start with the HD's and go from there if that's the case. Build 4 and put them with your tops (still need time alignment to sound good) and you'll have a nice punchy techno rig.

What amps do you have?/plan to buy?
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2020 at 9:38am
Again, build two G subs or similar. For up to 50 folks a bit of eq can easily bring out any kick you feel is missing (for the numbers, you won’t need to run them full steam. 

Don’t forget, building a system is half acquiring kit and half acquiring knowledge. Both of equal value. A simple two way system is perfect for the numbers your talking of and is expandable and perfect to learn with. It will be easier to work with as well. Spend money on the best drivers you can and get some half decent amps. The extra cost of splitting isn’t worth it yet. Once you’ve got a working system and understand it, borrow some kicks and see if they add what you want.
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>