Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you could have just 2 budget subs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 9:06pm
that little Thomann box is a bit mental

there are some decent looking ideas there for a new budget buy. cheers.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 9:58pm
No probs
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I would put money against a DV-Sub totally destroying a X1 in a similar sized cabinet.

Only disadvantage is the DV-Sub needs a adult amplifier as it’s 2.66r

I don't doubt it, but, and it really is a big one as they are current production and... can I find two of them for less than a grand a pair? Doubtful.

a pair of PD1850 loaded probuild X1's went for 500 a few weeks back. Bang for buck is there anything better? given my brief of cheap, low hz, easy to handle and not a horn.

I don’t think they have made DV-Subs for a good 10-15 years. I maybe wrong
DV-Subs go for around £750 a box now.

But sounds like you made your mind up on X1’s so best of luck :)
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

that little Thomann box is a bit mental

there are some decent looking ideas there for a new budget buy. cheers.

I’d lay money on that Thomann twin 12” sub being a copy or derivative of one of the old EAW bent horn subs, perhaps the BH940. Bear in mind that these are unlikely to meet their low frequency response specs in singles, they will like to be in groups of 4 minimum. On their own are likely to sound dry and gutless
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 8:50am
guys, there are two different models of 2x12 subs sold by thomann's brand T-Box
- the box Pyrit 212 Sub
- the box pro Achat 212H-SUB

I'm not sure you all speak about the same cab...
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 9:16am
I don't think many on here would think much of the Pyrit sub, that looks distinctly average. The 212H looks moderately interesting at least, i think we are all looking at that one
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 11:30am
Is the 212H a FLH? if so, I kind doubt it will be close to those specs with out coupling in a block of 4. 
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 1:29pm
The Thomann box pro double 12 Pyrit sub is the one everybody raves about. I have a pair and they do live up to the hype when set correctly. Only real issue is the weight at 41 kgs each but with casters they ain’t that bad. I’ve used them 1 a side with yammie dxr12s above and have filled out small rooms nicely.

A system has about 8 of them and uses them most weekends instead of his 18s

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2020 at 8:50pm
If you go X1, I'd suggest the letterbox version might be better. And yes X1's will wobble your eyes. 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

The Thomann box pro double 12 Pyrit sub is the one everybody raves about. I have a pair and they do live up to the hype when set correctly. Only real issue is the weight at 41 kgs each but with casters they ain’t that bad. 

A system has about 8 of them and uses them most weekends instead of his 18s

I wonder if they really do go down to 32 hz @ -3dB, in real world scenarios. Has anyone measured them yet? 

I wouldnt see the weight as an issue, actually the opposite. Must be solid. If it is well engineered and built. Looks quite nice. Thumbs Up
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 3:45pm
So I have gone for three 1000watt LIGWA reflex boxes. The ones with the single port on the front. Got for a good price and I can move each one about. three together will give near the same output as two X1's and I can move them and they are a ridiculous improvement over my current 18''s.. Job done...

Cheers for all your suggestions. It's interesting to see what people like after most stuffs gone out of production. very informative.

Cheers all.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123