Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you could use any wood in the world for xtr/pun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you could use any wood in the world for xtr/pun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you could use any wood in the world for xtr/pun
    Posted: 11 November 2011 at 11:30am
If you could use any wood in the world, cost not an option for the punisher/xtro build what would it be? Is there anything much better than russian birch ply?

Got access to a woodshop!
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 11:59am
I've never come across it but hickory plwood would be great for building speakers. Hickory is extremely tough, stiff and strong and is superior to birch in every respect with regard to speakers. There is probably a good reason that nobody makes plywood from it though.

It would be nice to use Robbins Super Elite plywood. It's manufactured and sold by Robbins timber in Bristol and solely consist of Mahoganny layers. Their 18mm board is 11-laminate and costs £231.09+VAT per sheet. Unfortunately Mahoganny is slightly lighter than birch and is not as strong so it may be slightly inferior for building speakers, but it would look great and would be completely moisture resistant.

me so horny, me love you long throw.
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 12:00pm
Zerbano or some other funky tropical hardwood but that stuff is way too expensive to be making speakers out of. What about a British grown hardwood?
Tarkovsky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 7:44pm
Thanks for all this info. I know nothing about wood but this great as now I know roughly what i'm researching. Thanks!
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 8:12pm
Given infinite budget and facilities I'd make my own plywood. I'd probably go for having the birch laminations being spaced with very thin carbon fibre with each panel having optimised grain directions. I'd also probably take an exotic laminate as the top layer, probably walnut but the skateboarder in me wants maple. Varying panel properties through the sheet could really optimise each sheet to a certain part of a cab.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply