Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Impedance wiring headache

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impedance wiring headache
    Posted: 07 April 2023 at 4:16pm
Hi, i'm here to seek help about my situation with impedance match between two 8inch mids and a driver.
I'm planning to build some line array modules using two 8inch, 8ohms midranges, and one 1", 8ohms driver.
Here's my question, how can i wire them in order to have an equal impedance between mids and highs? Cry
If i wire the mids on parallel they end up on 4ohms, and otherwise end up on 16ohms, while the driver stays at 8ohms...
I was thinking about it a couple days and, can i bring the impedance of the driver up with a resistance to, let's say, 16ohms to match the mids? Or it doesn't work like that?
I could easily exchange my 8inches to the 4ohm version but they don't have it available :(
Any ideas? 
Cheers and thank you, Coddy
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 4:28pm
It may be more a question of the sensitivity of the driver in question. You should be able to source the HF driver in a 16ohm variant and wire the 2 8ohm MF drivers in series to make a matching 16ohms. HF drivers tend to be a lot more sensitive than the MF drivers, but anyone over around 35 will likely appreciate a decent lift in the upper ranges. Which drivers do you have in mind? It's also much easier to attenuate the HF in the crossover design, so do you have a crossover in mind?

Edited by Lucasdude - 07 April 2023 at 4:32pm
Coddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 4:53pm
Thank you for the feedback, i did search for any 16ohm variant of the driver but i couldn't find any :(
Yes, i do have a crossover in mind, with a crosspoint of around 2.5k
It is a 80rms, 1.75" kapton vc, 1" throat, titanium diaphragm driver the one i'm using (it doesn't have a specific brand) 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 6:35pm
Well, the other way is to find a 16 ohm version of the 8"!   LOL

Or better, just forget the (passive) crossover and bi-amp the cab. With a decent active or some proper DSP it should sound better than using a passive. Worth considering these days given how cheap amps are now.  
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 6:51pm
The impedance of each band doesn't matter from a crossover perspective and no each band does not have to match, if using a passive crossover it just has to be designed for that impedance otherwise it won't produce the filter response you are expecting. 

But this is a line array where DSP is not optional so don't even consider using a passive crossover and biamp the boxes. If you do that you can still power up to 4 boxes from a single 2-ch amp if you wire the 8's in series internally, then 4 boxes connected in parallel is a 4ohm load which any decent amp will easily drive.

Edited by Conanski - 07 April 2023 at 6:52pm
Coddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

The impedance of each band doesn't matter from a crossover perspective and no each band does not have to match, if using a passive crossover it just has to be designed for that impedance otherwise it won't produce the filter response you are expecting. 

But this is a line array where DSP is not optional so don't even consider using a passive crossover and biamp the boxes. If you do that you can still power up to 4 boxes from a single 2-ch amp if you wire the 8's in series internally, then 4 boxes connected in parallel is a 4ohm load which any decent amp will easily drive.

I was thinking about all of this because it's way more practical to have both bands on the same impedance and just link the boxes on parallel with a 4p speakon (on a biamp) 

And i use another amp for all the drivers, yeah i was doubting about using a passive crossover on a line array system, and it's even better for tuning!

Should i use a capacitor to give at least a "protective" high pass to the driver? Just to feel safe?

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2023 at 6:31am
" The impedance of each band doesn't matter from a crossover perspective"

Definitely, but actually quite difficult to find an "off the shelf" passive made for different impedances! But as you say a DSP is pretty much a necessity here.

"Should i use a capacitor to give at least a "protective" high pass to the driver? Just to feel safe?"

Yes - always a good idea. 

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2023 at 7:28am
Another variable to throw in is that with line arrays you will start to experience HF loss with medium to long length arrays, partially due to interference losses, partially due to air losses at the distances generally covered by such arrays, so having plenty of HF headroom is essential 

As has been written active drive including significant DSP is an integral part of any worthwhile line array. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2023 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"Should i use a capacitor to give at least a "protective" high pass to the driver? Just to feel safe?"

Yes - always a good idea. 

I'd second that, however I don't have one in my own biamped setup since there is no way to crosswire the mids & highs with only an NL4 cable between the amp rack and speakers, the same amp rack is used every time and I'm the only one connecting it. But even so, it would only take having the wrong preset loaded in the DSP to expose the CDs to a fullrange signal so even though I'm pretty confident in my setup skills.. accidents happen. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2023 at 8:30am
I'd say that the cap is more for protection if your amp goes DC - or if you make a mistake on the DSP!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2023 at 10:13pm
designing a line array is quite a difficult project. The questions being asked suggest you should start with something simpler or buy some second-hand line array boxes.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2023 at 10:14am
The other consideration for (line) arrays is how many boxes you want to run per amp channel.  Especially for smaller drivers, running each cabinet at 16Ohm nominal would allow you to parallel 4 cabs up, so a flown array of 8 boxes would only need two sets of amp channels.
 Post Reply Post Reply