Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Information on SBH (Super Bass Horns)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Information on SBH (Super Bass Horns)
    Posted: 23 August 2017 at 5:43pm
Hi guys, 
Came into possession of a big pile of these subs, loaded with Oberton xb1500 drivers and looking for some more info on them as I don't know a lot about them, mainly hi pass and low pass recommendations, spl, reviews, plans if they are available, anything really....

Cheers!
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:48pm
the midtops!
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:53pm
I'm guessing you've bought cartoon sounds bins. I know the builder. Nice compact bins ;)
the midtops!
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 7:53pm
I'm guessing you've bought cartoon sounds bins. I know the builder. Nice compact bins ;)
the midtops!
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:46am
High pass 28 - 32 Hz depending on stack size
Low pass 90 - 120 Hz
They have a strong peak at the 1/4 lambda resonance (30-35 Hz), then a dip -sadly where the main "techno basslines" are, so dont push them to hard here! - (40-50 Hz) and then rising response from 60 Hz up.
With increasing stack size, the dip becomes smaller and with 8+ bins per stack it's nearly flat.
Oberton 18XB1500 is a great chassis for these horns, allthough i would want to cross it no higher than 100 Hz ideally.

Compared to other FLH designes like 1850 Horn, WSX etc. these have a longer hornpath and therefor go lower at the cost of some efficiency.
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 12:13pm
They should hopefully always be used in either stacks of 6 or 12 with the horn mouths coupled, so the dip shouldn't be too noticeable should it, and that could be EQ'd out anyway could it not?

Thanks for the info, thats great.

munkey yes we are getting Kartoon's bins haha... my crew are going to hate me
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 5:43pm
You could EQ the dip but its at the dispersion maximum of the cabinet, so you dont have any headroom here when running near its rms power.
But either way, its a great horn, very tight yet deep sounding. Just dont expect the mega "oomph" at 40-50 Hz you would get from a Bandpass or similar tuned in this region. (not that this is preferable anyways, but most techno folks are quite used to it). Its sort of the opposite of a f218 sound wise imo.

Edited by corell - 24 August 2017 at 5:45pm
ReubGold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReubGold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 9:25am
What is actual performance like as opposed to theoretical?

People keep going on about longer horn length, but so many sell them after getting them built, must be something not right?
If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by ReubGold ReubGold wrote:

What is actual performance like as opposed to theoretical?

People keep going on about longer horn length, but so many sell them after getting them built, must be something not right?

Think its more the fact they are bloody massive?
JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:19am
I only sold mine because they were to big for smaller venues... massively regret it now they were the best sounding bass cabs that we've had. I would buy some more but the crew we normally do nights with have Invaders so makes more sense to get them atm.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:24am
out of interest what do you think in terms of pros and cons of invaders and sbh??apart from sbh being pretty big 
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:36am
I'd say the invader is bigger in terms of width. I also think its heavier and abit more awkward to move around than the sbh.

I prefer the sound of the sbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>