Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

InfraHorn for X1?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:10pm
An easy experiment might be...

Get 2 boards of chipboard / MDF the same hieght as an X1, approx 1.5m long.

Get another board approx 1m x 3m.

Stack the above forming a horn sides with the smaller bits and a lid with the other bit.... and do some plots... from there we can get a rough idea how much of an effect it has on the response.. and if it's worth pursueing.

I reckon it is worth trying... I might have a go if the weather holds out for a few days.
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:21pm

If i had some x1s to test with i'd be happy to, however i don't currently, they're on the build list. Got a club interested in the idea for a refit in august, 2 x dance stack soundalikes...

Per side: 1 off 2x1 with horn, 2 off hd215, 2 off mid top of some description?

Jon
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 8:29am
could the x1 be redesigned so both ports are together?, then a very similar design to the f1 horn could be used.  personally id design a horn that can slide over two x1's during transport.  like a russian doll.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 11:08am
not possible to redesign to get the ports together...

I'm openign this book again... experiments will follow...
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 12:03pm
Adam, I have stacks of rough ply that needs to be used for something.I think an infrahorn would be the best use of it!
I thought of making one that bolts together so it can be flatpacked when in storage/transit.
Do you reckon a simple barn door style extension would do it or does it need to be more complex so that both ports have there own horn section?
I would also like to try out barn doors for the 215s as that can be easily achieved.
I think a building day is in order followed by testing!

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 12:11pm
I thought about having some kinda tringle thing to go on the front face to effectively form 2 ports... would need to be shaped correctly to get the right flare rate (I guess).

Build / test day is defo in order.
WhiteElephantSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteElephantSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 3:17pm
Also very intrested in this, we talking for original shape or letterboxes? Might be easier to fit a decent sized flair between the ports on a letterbox x1.
minns25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minns25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 4:04pm
Yep also very interested in this as i was from the start, i now have a void loaded x1 (soon to be 2) so am willing to help/contribute in any way i can

Thanks

Jon
Steak'n'ale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 11:18am
Been reading this thread and thinking (yeah, dangerous I know). The purpose of this seems to be to make a massive bandpass horn that could do a similar job to the F1 Infrabass.

Am I missing something here as the F1 is a 4th order bandpass where the 1 and only port fires into the horn wheras the X1 is a 6th order and the two ports will roughly have opposite phase.

Surely the resulting 6th order BPH would have similar phase cancellation issues to something like a tapped horn or scoop and sound completely different to an Infrabass?
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 12:47pm
Tapped horn doesn't have phase cancellation issues or anything like that, if you read the theory again, it uses the rear loaded design to actually increase it's output (think 1/4 wave horn + 1/2 wave horn incorporating mouth reflection and you'll see what I mean).

Now, with that out of the way...
Consider the Tasco Harwell design. If both horns on the sides of the bin were identically tuned, the design would actually achieve full cancellation. However, they are different horns. Behold the similarity to the X1, each chamber on the side of the 18 is tuned differently. If the X1 had opposite phase with the same frequencies coming out of either port, the design would not work at all, even without the horn flare.

Now, consider each chamber as a horn in itself tuned to the frequency the chamber is tuned to, incorporating the chamber as front chamber volume and the port as a simple manifold...that can be modeled in hornresp. So, we're just amplifying the output from either port when designing this, but not changing the tuning...

I can picture a big asymmetrical horn flare on two X1s, how about you?
Away on extended leave.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 4:55pm
Hmmm... can anyone give me any hints on modelng this..

Deadbeat... I / We want to design this for 2 X1s stacked next to each other... I can sort of picture what you mean.. but could you do us a simple paint sketch to get a clearer picture???

fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 5:24pm
I was thinking it would be better with two/three X1s stacked on top of each other?Now I'm more fuzzy than normal!!Or are you thinking of a block of four?sh*t we got to prototype to find out i reckon...unless anyone can simulate it...anyone?

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>