Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Input needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Input needed
    Posted: 17 December 2017 at 10:49am
So, i was thinking of building an as cheap as possible but still good sounding system.

The plan is:

6x 2x18" ported subs Fane 18XB1000
6x 2x12" ported + 1,4", so far i have been looking at Fane Sovereign 12-500 or Oberton 12450B + BMS 4554 1,4" on 60°x40° Horn

This should make a serious low budget 3-way system even for large crowds, it is well scaleable, the mid highs i plan to have an -3dB of 70Hz to still maintain a bit of bass for small events.

Have you got any suggestions for drivers which are cheap and still sound as good as possible ? Edit: i am specifically asking about alternatives for the 12", can also be china copies as long as they do their job nicely

Edited by turbo7 - 17 December 2017 at 10:56am
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 1:37pm
I have a pair of BMS 12n620.
€200 + shipping.

Pm me if you are interested.
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 1:42pm
thanks but much much too expensive. i am looking around the half for the 12" drivers !
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 1:49pm
Why 6 dual 12 above those double 18? 4 is definitely enough.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 1:51pm
Oh sorry. I just noticed you want 6.
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 4:24pm
"
Why 6 dual 12 above those double 18? 4 is definitely enough.
"

Hm i dont think so ! 6x18" per side powered properly is something that cheap and therefore not too sensitive 4x12" have to keep up with. I do also like the idea of not pushing the drivers too hard and have head room. Dispersion is also an issue and it will be wider with a horizontal cluster of 3. I really need to keep price down ! Is there a good 12" which can play 70-1,2k nicely ? Probably 40 pounds per piece ?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2017 at 6:18pm
I use one 12" above my TH-18 , and that's pretty balanced.
I think if you go for 4 dual 12 you leave more budget, for better 12" drivers.
Dispersion wise you could go for horns with larger coverage.
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 11:34am
i already have had several horns, with and without phase plug etc. Still, 12" horns do not satisfy in smaller locations, they will be very large, they can not kick unless they are longer ones.

with a 6x12" ported above 6x18" i am much more versatile and equal as loud. The 12" section can do kick a lot better than too short horns, come in a smaller package and i can cross the Subbass at 90hz.

I have been always much more impressed with direct radiating speakers than with 12" horns... they sound good in any venue and still deliver a lot of spl. A big plus is also the extended frequency range to meet the high frequency driver.

This time it will be all reflex ! Still looking for bang for buck drivers
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 11:59am
I'm not talking about a horn loaded mid section, but about the horns for the high drivers..
If you save on the 12" you definitely get les performance. As you say kick is important to you. If you go for cheap drivers, most of the time you go for less Xmax, which resolves in less displacement ---> less kick. And then we aren't talking about transient response etc..

Of course it's still advice, and it's still your decision. 

What i'm saying is that if you go for less, but better now. 
You won't regret it in the future.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 11:20am
look at the delta pro 12a. Test one. They can kick. That said I just made 4x 2x12' 1x2' and bul tweeter. Tuned the box to 70hz. lacks kick I think. and I would agree with your coverage coment. 6 would be nice and wide. The subs will stuggle to keep up. I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply