Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it a upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it a upgrade?
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:51pm
I got 2x PD.121 with XT1086 on a DE500 comp, reflex, in my tops. I found P.audio BM-D750 s2 and ph-642 on a sale and as I never owned a 2”, this got me going...
But is this somewhat a upgrade or downgrade?
Today I cross at 1500hz and thougt that a 2” could bring the x point lower.
Give me an advice please.

Edited by LjudLahger - 14 May 2021 at 2:52pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:12pm
I've got BM-750's (Series I) on various 2x12" & 1x12" cabs - and they are very, very good. A friend and I tested them against the B&C version (Smile) - and they sounded better - louder & "smoother". I'd say go for it!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:54pm
Try a BMS 4550 ;)

That will allow you to bring the x-over down to 1khz
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:10pm
Interesting! Thank’s for your inputThumbs Up
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:17pm
That 4550 looks nice, but when I got the de500’s they wore highend and I like them alot. It’s really a question of going 2” with bm-d750 :-)
But the spec say 1000hz rek xover...can you go lower?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:45pm
Why would you want to go lower? I think that the lower mid-top frequencies are better reproduced by a cone. An alu or titanium diaphragm will sound harsh at those frequencies.

Historically, you can find cabs that used comp drivers with 600Hz-800Hz xover frequencies - but I think that there is a reason that practice ended!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:14pm
You see more and more active driven speakers loaded with larger HF drivers, and lowered Xover freq. And from personal experience, there are quite a difference.

RCF ART 732, 735 and 745 are good examples.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:17pm
Your words are true...
I guess that I have some memory of “beaming” and “you want to x as low as possible to prevent this”.
But I have never heard any problems.
I’m only after something new to build I guess :-)

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:49pm
It will sound different but whether it could be considered an upgrade or downgrade is hard to say.

In terms of the sound of the HF itself, the DE500/XT1086 will probably sound better, especially at the high end.  Whereas with a larger CD and lower crossover point, you might get better integration with the 12".  

It will really depend what you use the cabs for and what kind of sound you're looking for.
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:24pm
I've not tried that driver on that horn but I've tried a pair few others and it always sounded very good.

I like larger format drivers nowadays. I was well into doing 12+1 but now prefer 15+2 (maybe I got old and lost the top range or something) 1" sounds good but the impact of a 1.4" or 2" is a lot more. As Chris says above, it'll all depend on your integration - if it wants a 1" in your design then fine also.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:38pm

Edited by taurusty - 16 May 2021 at 2:42pm
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Why would you want to go lower? I think that the lower mid-top frequencies are better reproduced by a cone. An alu or titanium diaphragm will sound harsh at those frequencies.

Historically, you can find cabs that used comp drivers with 600Hz-800Hz xover frequencies - but I think that there is a reason that practice ended!  Smile

This!

P Audio BMD 750II can go as low as 800Hz with the right horn, but remember power handling is affected.
I cross mine at 1200hz 48dB/oct. Never had an issue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>