Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is RCF L18P300 ok in 1850?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEWProductions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is RCF L18P300 ok in 1850?
    Posted: 22 June 2008 at 8:56pm
So a while back I gave some the plans for the PD1850 horn. I was unable to find PDs here in the US so I decided to go with the RCF drivers in the 186 horns. I had this guy make me 4 cabinets but he used the original plans and I have 4 PD1850 horns loaded with RCF 300s now. I used them for a job and they sounded great but when I got them back to my shop started noticing horrible rattles in them when I get into the 1-1.5kW range each. The bracing has yet to be put in the cabs (only bracing is the set by the speaker cutout) so Im hoping that this is the problem with the rattling. Does anyone have any ideas or know if this driver will survive in the 1850. I am planning on getting more built but now Im not sure if I should go with the 1850 or the 186 design.

Rob
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 9:05pm
The rattling will be because of the lack of bracing.

Canadian Loudspeaker Company have an analog of the 1850, and in the states you can get the P Audio SD18 which supposedly works in this horn.

As to your driver: It's parameters (BL= 23.5, EBP = 97) suggest the 186 horn. The RCF L18P300 was designed for reflex/bandpass loading in mind, anyway. This driver will probably survive, but probably cannot be driven at high levels.
Away on extended leave.
BEWProductions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEWProductions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 1:32pm
So I talked to the guy I had building the 1850's for me. Luckily for some reason the baffle in question, the one that is the different between the 1850 and the 186, was the only one that wasn't glued in the cabinet. With some work last night at my shop I was able to get that panel out. This solved the air space issue that I was worried about and also seemed to be the cause of the vibration/rattling. I still definitely want to add the bracing as Im sure it will help in the long run but panel vibration/ resonance is pretty minimal. Now I just need to figure out if I should ad the baffle in the 186 position of just leave the chamber open to maximize airspace. I just don't know how much that little bit of extra volume will effect things, although the sub did sound god when testing.

Also, the reason I was asking on the RCF driver is that it is listed as the #3 driver for the 186 on the plans.
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 2:01pm
I know Tony from A.S.S has mentioned in the past that he made the baffle double thickness and how the importance of bracking inside high power cabs needs to be. 
 Post Reply Post Reply