Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Spotify high enough quality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Spotify high enough quality?
    Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:13pm
is Spotify high enough quality to play through a rig ? Would plug decks into a computer through USB then phono to xlr adapter from decks 
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:35pm

Spotify ‘extreme quality’ is 320Kbs, so it’s not too bad; however you need a Spotify business account to do it legally:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Can-I-use-my-Spotify-at-my-pub-restaurant-school-or-commercial/ta-p/1671227

……however this is €34.99 per location per month.

You should also set your device so you can play tracks ‘off line’ just in case you lose your connection during your set.

re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 9:11pm
It depends on the rig, also seems to vary with the quality of the spotify track some rips seem to be better than others. 
Tidal is a pretty good upgrade (lossless quality) for not much more.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 7:53am
Originally posted by re-production re-production wrote:

It depends on the rig, also seems to vary with the quality of the spotify track some rips seem to be better than others. 
Tidal is a pretty good upgrade (lossless quality) for not much more.

Tidal’s HiFi tier is double the cost. Spotify is 320kbps OGG Vorbis when set to the highest level.

I’m more curious how the decks to computer then phono to XLR bit works. Spotify is fine to play tunes from for background music between acts, or for a playlist party off a phone or laptop, but DJ tool it is not. I don’t even think it’s compatible with any of them.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 9:06am
You also need to think of the actual type of music when doing this or cheeky You Tube nonsense.

Very good friend has a ton of 40s 50s and some 60''s on 128k. He does small scale older wedding and birthday stuff, never big. It's perfectly fine as it was so bad (in today's terms) when recorded There are a few exceptions which he is aware of,  Beatles being one because of the bass guitar. Vera Lynn through a pair of Peaveys at 128 aint no different to the Vinyl :)  Roughly late 60's/ 70's on he wont use anything under 320.

Had no idea Spotify was 320 OGG, good to know, thanks

Edited by nickyburnell - 14 July 2018 at 9:07am
It's everything, not everythink!
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:04pm
Of course it is nowhere near to good quality.

I would say at least 192K Sample per second with 24bits resolution per channel is the minimum affordable 'professional grade' quality. Please do the math:
192KHZ * 24bits * 2channels = 9216K
1.15MB/s and this is WITHOUT ANY additional codes, checksums, etc!!

So the required bandwidth would be at least 30X of the 320kbps.. And it is not any extreme 'high quality' just 192KS, 24bit resolution.

Edited by U.Viktor - 14 July 2018 at 12:05pm
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:27pm
But if you load the new Spotify for PKN app, and click on Elton John’s latest playlist, he actually jumps out the fans and sings accapella 6 inches from your face - THAT’s how high quality that is!
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

But if you load the new Spotify for PKN app, and click on Elton John’s latest playlist, he actually jumps out the fans and sings accapella 6 inches from your face - THAT’s how high quality that is!
LOL
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

I would say at least 192K Sample per second with 24bits resolution per channel is the minimum affordable 'professional grade' quality. Please do the math:

So the required bandwidth would be at least 30X of the 320kbps.. And it is not any extreme 'high quality' just 192KS, 24bit resolution.
1.152MB per secondOuch
You have high standards. I dont know anyone who could A/B 16bit and 24bit.
It is calculated for .wav'es. Flac is lossless and it takes less MB.

Edited by gen0me - 14 July 2018 at 5:33pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 2:18pm
Is this to actually use Spotify as the "record collection" for the DJ?
If so, I wouldn't bother. I've seen this go horribly wrong... embarrassingly wrong!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So no, you’re flat out wrong. Sorry.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:25pm
Fire!!!

tps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE#
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>