Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isobaric reflex sub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isobaric reflex sub
    Posted: 17 July 2016 at 4:03pm
So, I am not exactly a newbie, but I have never tried to use an Isobaric arrangement. My question is, if wired properly and the drivers are face to face, I feel like it should be OK to bolt them in without a baffle between them, since the pressure between drivers should not be all that high, as they are moving parallel to each other, as opposed to a PPSL where they are moving against each other. Am I wrong in thinking this or should I put a spacer baffle between?

For the record, this is a dumb car sub, and I know people hate those on here. The space issue is my concern for this project, and my understanding is that isobaric arrangements allow for an enclosure of half the size with the same frequency response as a single driver BP6, but a loss of efficiency (which is not a huge deal in a car cab). Has anybody else tried an Isobaric BP6 and have any warnings or observations, or votes that it is a waste of time? I feel like it could be a fun problem solver for a small project design one off.

Edited by b grade - 22 July 2016 at 2:28pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 4:10pm
The reason I prefer not to do a spacer baffle is that it seems like I would either need a second access door or else some kind of circular spacer piece that seems annoying to make and kind of weak structurally. Bolting the drivers together and then placing them on one side of the baffle just seems easiest.

Edited by b grade - 17 July 2016 at 4:11pm
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 5:17pm
Do it like OHM HD-BB which has 12mm plywood/MDF ring between the drivers. One baffle but still enough spacing between the drivers to avoid any issues from high excursion.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 5:52pm
Kinda what I figured too, but I wish sometimes the coin flip came up the easier way. Not real hard at all though. Just an extra little piece. Thanks.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 7:32pm
In case anybody cares where I am going with this, I have decided that an Isobaric Bass reflex will satisfy the requirements, sound better and be a much lazier build, which is my natural inclination anyhow. Boring, old, lovely and simple reflex.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 2:26pm
The final speaker came out sounding pretty awesome. I cut all kinds of corners and slapped it together in like half a day. No paint. No screw filler. No frills of any kind. Nobody on here wants to see that. Sounds really nice though. The chamber is about 55 liters so its still big, but I swear it sounds much bigger. 

The reason I veered away from a bp6 is that the reflex was just simming much better, except for a small band below where I would ever use it, for excursion concerns. I would have thought the increased motor strength in an isobaric pair would have been ideal for BP6 though. But I am not working harder for worse results. The computer says go simple, I go simple.

Edited by b grade - 22 July 2016 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply