Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JAMAICAN COOKIE CUTTER SOUNDSYSTEMS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 12:24pm
Welcome to Sound Police, Reality! Glad the T 18's are finally waning in popularity...
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

Welcome to Sound Police, Reality! Glad the T 18's are finally waning in popularity...

Big up Taurusty. When did the mini double's become the sub of choice? Was it Stone Love with the 'Canadians'? 
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 1:52pm
I see Bass Odyssey got some from Zann.
Jaro got some JBL Vertex line array tops too... 
Pics up somewhere. I'll put em up when I find em
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 1:53pm
Yep. All of the current boxes are variations on Canadian/ Mini Scoop. Definitely an improvement over the T 18.
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 2:07pm
Stonelove Template sound systems.

Anything Stonelove do the rest follow LOL
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 2:24pm
I always wondered where does the trend of putting mediums above the HF range, and / or compression drivers above tweeters come from?
Usually in the rest of the world the point source are stacked from low to high frequency, bottom to top I guess this is due to better copling of the drivers if they're close to one another.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

I always wondered where does the trend of putting mediums above the HF range, and / or compression drivers above tweeters come from?
Usually in the rest of the world the point source are stacked from low to high frequency, bottom to top I guess this is due to better copling of the drivers if they're close to one another.

If they expect the audience to be very close to the stacks then HF at the very top could go over people's heads. Moving the HF down to the middle of the cab solves that. Just one particular set of compromises they've chosen.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 2:39pm
Thanks for the answer, are you sure they do it specifically for this purpose or is it your guess at it?
Not only the jamaican sound systems have the audience close to the stacks, we often do too.
In events I go in, when played at loud/war level usually you can still clearly hear the HF even if they're up your head and not tilted.
I really wouldn't want those compression drivers and tweeters straight in my ears Dead
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 3:46pm
My uncle once told me that the sound systems do it to keep noise inside the venue, thats the same reason why they use the t-18 type boxes so the bass fires down to the ground.

They believe if the horn and tweeters are in the middle the sound will not travel as far and there will be less police shut downs and complaints.

However these days most events have permits and only run till 2am so sounds are going back to the normal way of straight double 18 boxes and horn/tweeters high in the air

Edited by RiddimKid - 28 March 2018 at 3:47pm
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

I see Bass Odyssey got some from Zann.
Jaro got some JBL Vertex line array tops too... 
Pics up somewhere. I'll put em up when I find em

From what I see in Sound Police, no one is rating that line array either!

Pon left...

Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

I wonder if it works like the Peter Morris 60 on a bigger scale/for bigger distances....where it sounds more like a single point source with the HF in middle....maybe they don't overlap frequencies in JA!
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

My uncle once told me that the sound systems do it to keep noise inside the venue, thats the same reason why they use the t-18 type boxes so the bass fires down to the ground.

They believe if the horn and tweeters are in the middle the sound will not travel as far and there will be less police shut downs and complaints.

However these days most events have permits and only run till 2am so sounds are going back to the normal way of straight double 18 boxes and horn/tweeters high in the air

In no way do those T18 keep anything indoors. I have tons of experience of them and if you do some looking on PSW there is a guy who does stadiums (half time singers etc) with 12 of them in USA.
Having said that stacking them like they do does not work. In fact you may as well remove top row in my experience. Put the top ones upside down and in a block of four they chuck it as far as anything out there though. Nowt much below 50, unless eq is added in buckets,  had some a few years ago for nostalgia and that roll down sub in modern music is just plain missing.
Maybe we are all reading too much into the why, perhaps it's just fashion or hand me down advice?
It's everything, not everythink!
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

When did scoops go out of fashion?
Not a BPH or folded horn to be seen......
I don't get it.

Scoops have been out of fashion a good while now. Check out these two threads.

https://forum.speakerplans.com/no-one-in-jamaica-uses-scoops-anymore_topic63638_page1.html

https://forum.speakerplans.com/scoops-in-jamaica_topic77199.html

Shame most of the pics don't come up anymore.

I've been in Jamaica for 5 months and have not seen a single scoop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>