Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - JBL 2241 scraping after not being used for a while
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL 2241 scraping after not being used for a while

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL 2241 scraping after not being used for a while
    Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:39am

Tried a couple of JBL 2241s yesterday thinking I'd put them up for sale (theyre in P744 soundpower cabs, quite nice little subs).

One of them sounded awful and I quickly discovered it was rubbing. Last time I used them over a year ago they were totally fine. I decided just to rinse a bass heavy tune out of it and within 30 seconds it was sounding completely fine.
I decided to cut the dust cap off to take a look (now wish I hadn't bothered) and there's a lot of powdery white oxide on top of the pole piece and a fair amount in the gap.

I realise this driver is probably on borrowed time but having read around lots of people just say use it, provided that it stops scraping with "exercise" which it does.
Would it be worth making an effort at cleaning out the magnet with a hoover etc then glue a dustcap back on?

Meantime I still need to get rid of a couple of these subs as I don't use them so will fit a pair of freshly reconed ones which I have and sell those instead and use these intermittently scrapy ones myself until they die, at which point I may recone them.

Could anyone recommend a source for dustcaps and what sort of glue to use?

Cheers
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:53am
For some reason JBL don't like sitting around. Seen this recently with a loft full of drivers, the JBL s were starting to rub from just being stored, no others.
Dust caps: RMJ. Glue. Blue Aran
It's everything, not everythink!
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 8:00am
Ah I see... Rust buckets are they lol.
All the other drivers in the room are fine.
Even an ancient fane 18 studio bass sitting out on the shelf.
I have noticed that the mounting screws on this one are unexplainably rusty... Wondering if this one lived by the door in a lockup for a long time tbh before I owned it.
 Post Reply Post Reply