Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL 2426 good for X15 or have I wasted my $$

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL 2426 good for X15 or have I wasted my $$
    Posted: 27 June 2009 at 6:57am

I have been on the lookout for a reasonable price/quality HF for my 4 x X15 build.

These JBL 2426 came up with a buy now yesterday morn at quite a cheap price (by NZ standards:). They were supposed to be all 16ohms, but 2 are 8ohm and 2 are 16ohm.

Anyway one of the 8ohm diaphragms is tired, and I dont know whether to replace both 8's with 16's or vice versa...I understand using 8ohm will maximise the amp better without needing it to be as higher wattage/voltage swing, and being biamped I take it this is the better way? comments please. As far as I understand it, usually a 16ohm driver is used to lower the gain...so i could do with some advice on this, and if I do run passive or active what diaphragms will suit.

But firstly, are these drivers going to suit? They want to be crossed at around 800Hz or higher so 'should' suit, even though they are a 1" throat.

So have I wasted my money? or are these going to be sweet..

(forgot to add the 15's I have is the usual p.audio SN15MB drivers)

Edited by Lincoln1 - 27 June 2009 at 7:00am
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 9:30pm

i have a pair of these in some 12&1 which are volt loaded and sound really good

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 11:49pm
It doesn't matter whether they are 8 or 16Ohm providing you tailor the passive crossovers in the particular boxes to match.  You can account for the difference in the L-Pad.

If you're running active, you will have issues if you put an 8Ohm and 16Ohm in parallel because obviously the 8Ohm will be louder.

It would be easier if they were all the same impedance but which isn't really an issue, you can make it work either way.

I don't have any experience with these particular compression drivers but I suspect they'll do the job fine.  Even though they say good from 800Hz upwards, I'd recommend 1.6kHz as the lowest you realistically want to run a 1".

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 11:55pm
Totally agree with Chris on this one---JBL 2426 drivers will pop very easily if you try and cross them over at anything below 1.5khz but if you use 1.5 khz as your xover point, then they will sound nice and sweet as long as you use very good passive xovers on them or cross them over actively with a decent DSP. 
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 2:46am
Thats what i like to hear:)  I know I have been dicking around on this topic for a while, and if money was no object I would have used a larger sized high quality driver. Like all hobbies money is an issue... However these were at the right price, and 'appeared' to do the job on paper anyway. Thanks again Chris, for your help along the wayClap.

I need to do something with the diaphragms, and see there are a range of aftermarket ones available. I will most prob go genuine as I did set out to spend a bit more in this area, and cant find anyone 'fussy' to tell me whether the aftermarket ones sound any different. If they didnt I'd leap at the cheapies, however they appear to be a science in themselves so will just buy once and cry once, unless someone here says otherwise...Ermm

Also crossover will just be using my driverack, so all good there. I may fit some passives at some stage as a mate sometimes uses my current ones for discos.

Now to sort what sized lamp will protect an 8 ohm JBL 100W cont program diaphragm...as I've already buggared one of themCry . It may have been on it's way, but I bought these thinking I would have to do that anyway, as one had no markings on it. NOTE TO SELF: DONT BE AN IDIOT !! (yes I was shouting..for more than one reason:) . I ususally learn the 2nd time..

Edited by Lincoln1 - 03 July 2009 at 2:47am
balistic_sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balistic_sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 5:35pm
I have a spare 2426 going
Don't underestimate no sound!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Totally agree with Chris on this one---JBL 2426 drivers will pop very easily if you try and cross them over at anything below 1.5khz but if you use 1.5 khz as your xover point, then they will sound nice and sweet as long as you use very good passive xovers on them or cross them over actively with a decent DSP. 

How would you compare these to B&C DE250s Robbo ?

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 2:47am
ive owned both and used them in the same cab  crossed over at 2k
and i think the de25's just edge it and are a bit lighter to boot
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply