Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL TCBs... value and thoughts...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 1:18am
They sound awful!! Fitted lots of them. As above remove drivers and fit in a better cabinet. Much akin to the awful Bose 302. Firewood IMHO.
Billy Dawg.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 12:59pm
They really are like marmite then...love hate!!

All I wanted from them was to provide some smooth and low rumble below kick frequencies. Is that likely?
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 8:44pm
I'm the opposite to Malcolm I think they are great for what they were designed for very low sub bass don't forget most of the rest of the range of sound power stuff was full range so these boxes would have been designed to be used as an add on rather than a total bass solution.

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Sound%20Power%204700%20Series.htm 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 8:44pm
A few years ago I fitted some in a paintball arena. They were used for sound effects. They did the job extremely well. Too well, in fact.
Musically, however, it was a different story. The delay, for instance, could be measured in days rather than the usual milliseconds.

My advice is to try them. You might like them, you might hate them. I know which category I'm in.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 9:19pm
One Julianas install I worked on had 8 2x18 TCB's all on 808's bridged, then 2x15's etc. It was awful. BSS, C-Audio and massive cables made no difference.
Billy Dawg.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 1:19pm
Well, I have drivers now along with some JBL soundpower dual 15" reflex bins, so ill try them out in both cabinets.
I'll try the TCBs running just 35-50 hz and see if they add any useable woom woom which is all Im hoping for.

Anyone got any ideas on the most sympathetic/ easy way of getting a speakon on this backplate?

The wiring for the cannon multi pins looks complicated.

The XLR only has two wires going to it so I definitely favor using that for the speakon...
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 2:18pm
the big speakons should fit perfectly where the ep8s are.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 2:20pm
Had four, cost nothing, weighs a ton, cheapest price for bbply:-)
We loaded them with fane 18xb & compared to jbl, sounded mucgh better, but you need either a spacer ring or to remove the magnet heatsink to fit them.
I bet most BR drivers will so better than the terrible jbls, try a 18lw1400 in there?

Or measure the thing & do a sim in winisd.

Don't waste money on those old expensive jbl drivers, they're for collectors and outdated
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

They really are like marmite then...love hate!!

All I wanted from them was to provide some smooth and low rumble below kick frequencies. Is that likely?

Only good for rumble, but BIG!
They claim they play up to 300 hz, crazy, don't use them above 80hz, try to do a sim and look at the delays
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:19pm
I guess everyone has different opinions on these but for me they work fine.  Sensitive, smooth bass 

Have a look at the frequency response graph .http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4685.pdf  Ok, there probably is some smoothing in that graph but it still a good response.  

If you high passed them around 50hz to cut out the sub frequencies you do get some good kick out of them.  

As some have said, you either love them or hate them

Edited by shaun1264 - 01 August 2015 at 10:30pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2015 at 1:01pm
In my opinion they have no kick whatsoever!
They have a BAD sensitivity of such a huge box of just 97db with two drivers!

Sorry, but for me highpassing at 50hz sounds absolutely crazy!
Why would you want a box measuring 75x75x150 cm if it is not for sub?

JBL recommend lowpass at 80-100hz, = NO kick & NO highpass!

Nice kickbins come much ligher & better sounding!
The freq response is bad above 80 hz

I'd say: don't use jbl drivers, gives a sloppy bass & they take no juice!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2015 at 6:48pm
I used 4788 as subs in a venue for a couple of years, standing on their ends, alongside Martin 115's for upper bass. The combination worked!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>