Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL Venue Series Bedroom System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 12:21pm
Hi shaun, with your massive headroom, you can EQ some serious bass in below 50Hz and run HPF down to 20Hz..

Will be fun Thumbs UpEvil Smile
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 1:44pm
Hi, at low levels yes I'd think it would work.

At high levels I used the bass speaker at a gig several years ago where I did try and squeeze more out of it under 50Hz but it didn't like it.  The twin 15" 2226's inside started to rattle, I guess bottoming out.  I think the enclosure is tuned around 50hz. 

I have a pair of old JBL TCB 4785's which would do the job easily at lower frequencies.  Might swap it around a bit in the future.  
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 2:09pm
Gig / bedroom are very different scenarios!

Most power you'll ever be able to put into it at home is perhaps 100w, where 2226s have ample excursion .. Then back off the EQ and raise HPF for louder events. Thumbs Up

Ps. 2226s have a special place in my heart .. Lovely bass !
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 2:28pm
Thanks, I also too love the 2226's.  Very low power compression.  

AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:21pm
my kind of bedroom lol ..
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
Brother T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brother T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 8:58pm
Nice to see a pair of vs3215s,really awesome speakers.I used to have a pair, i only recently sold them on Ebay.I always found that the bigger the venue the sweeter they sounded,definately one of JBLs finest speaker systems.
peace and love
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 9:59am
Quote [The only problem I encounter is bad interference from my computer monitor transformer. I'll have to try a seperate electric point to remove the sound.

Some Al foil in between the monitor and the amp may go some way to helping. I used to have a housemate who had to do this with monitor and TV if he wanted to see anything except noise.

Edit: Just realised his monitor was an old CRT job! So yeah, this trick ain't doing much with modern LCDs. Need to somehow isolate the ground of your monitor, a different plug probably won't help a lot because it will more than likely be on the same ring and even if not the ground reference is still going to be the same ultimately.

Edited by odc04r - 12 September 2013 at 11:27am
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 6:23pm
I've owned many JBL speakers in the past, from their budget TR series to Marquis series.  I agree, the VS2315 is probably one of the finest speakers JBL ever produced that not many people knew about. Good old horizontal array big boxes.  Loaded with three of the finest transducers.  It's interesting they used the 15" 2227 SVG instead of the more popular 2226. I guess due to it's better mid bass output.   I believe they also made a 'custom' version which was near identical but slightly different cabinet.  

When the DSP set up correctly to the Venue Series tunings they sound amazing.  No harshness at all. Smooth.   There is a slight dip in the frequency response curve around 12khz. Then shoots up again, I just smoothed it out with a 5dB lift 6q at 12khz.  

I also fixed the interference problem with a ground loop isolator box.  
stephenk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 6:01am
To be honest I though Fabric nightclub sounded much better when the VS2315s were replaced by W8Cs. 
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 6:08pm
I remember reading about the JBL installation into Fabric several years ago.  It was well documented about and so was the Martin Audio replacement which as you say sounded much better.  The old Arbiter Group which if I remember correctly were the JBL UK distributors at the time who did the JBL installation into that nightclub.  Weather it was set up poorly or poorly located speakers or just the  Marquis/Venue/SP series speakers is much debatable.  

Isn't Sound Tech the new distributors now? Quite frankly I think JBL is poorly represented in this country.  Sourcing JBL parts in the UK seems difficult now.   

I remember when Butlins in Bognor Regis changed over to their EAW KF650 from the JBL sound power speakers.  Loved the new sound but had major dead spots which was later filled with infills.  The new Martin Audio W8LMD line array they now have is great in your face sound, but lacking the deep smooth bass from what I have heard.  

Edited by shaun1264 - 15 September 2013 at 7:46pm
ollie80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 5:03pm
wow!  Wink

Ollie K
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by shaun1264<span style=line-height: 1.4;> The new Martin Audio W8LMD line array they now have is great in your face sound, but lacking the deep smooth bass from what I have heard.  </span><br>

[/QUOTE shaun1264 The new Martin Audio W8LMD line array they now have is great in your face sound, but lacking the deep smooth bass from what I have heard.  
[/QUOTE wrote:

You've clearly heard this with the wrong subs, or source material. 

You've clearly heard this with the wrong subs, or source material. 
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>