Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jumped in but don't have a clue what to do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbalist Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jumped in but don't have a clue what to do.
    Posted: 26 March 2018 at 6:22pm
Hello all, thanks for having me.

The title says it all really, I have brought a number of components for building a sound system (18" subs, a number of smaller speakers) and im working on the project with an old friend of mine however we don't really know what we are doing....  I have the enthusiasm and financing but lack direction, would anyone be kind enough to let me know the best direction to look to find some direction?

My purchase so far consist of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Skytec-8-Polypropylene-Mid-Range-Drivers-400W-Essex/151307348012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subwoofer-Speaker-Grill-4-5-6-5-8-10-12-15-18-Cover-with-Clamps-Screws/332256147626?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=541266781095&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Speaker-Box-Terminal-Square-Screw-Cup-Connector-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Wire-F1L5/222677883791?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Bass-Sub-Speaker-Woofer-18-Professional-Replacement-Driver-Chassis-700W/182615060991?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Im really sorry, I normally plan and understand what im doing before getting started but excitement got the better of me and I just cracked on. My buddy is a qualified carpenter and has access to CAD software and machinery, the building wont be a problem once we have plans, id also like pointers on what equipment will be best/second choice.

Thanks again ladies and gentlemen. 
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:16pm
Not the wisest of choices on the driver selection - very low resale value on those components so the usual advice if you're on such a limited budget is to look for used entry level drivers.

Part of the difficulty with these budget drivers is they don't publish any Thiele/small parameters, so you can't accurately simulate their performance in a cabinet (one 18" driver looking much like another can vary wildly in suitable enclosure tuning), you'll just have to guess and tune the ports (you could make a best guess by simulating another cheap 18" with published parameters), and frankly the amount of time, effort and additional expenses involved in producing the finished article means you might be better off considering requesting a return on these components if that's still a possibility.

To make this into a serviceable system you'll need a crossover network and some tweeters. If you're set on these components you could probably add some Motorola style piezos and get reasonable results. There are ways to use them without a dedicated crossover (putting resistors inline with them - Google for details), but you can't get away without a crossover for the sub, and that should probably be active, meaning a separate processing unit, although passive sub crossovers are also available.

Your mids are designed for hifi use and are only 90dB efficient rated at 100w - you would need at least 2 of them per side to keep up with one per side of the bass drivers. 3 preferably, but it's probably better to backpeddle rather than expand on this system design, if possible.

Edited by Hemisphere - 26 March 2018 at 7:23pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Herbalist Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbalist Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:25pm
Hello Hemisphere, thanks for the advise, I'm going to look into those bits now. Im completely flexible on the components and am happy to upgrade or replace with recommendations.

I'm unfamiliar with the workings of sound systems and have been made recommendations by friends (they suggested these speakers) so im going to ignore there advise now. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbalist Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:30pm
I enjoy learning, reading and understanding (sounds like i'm on a dating site) so if you have some good threads that may help please post them up and I will read up. I know how frustrating it is when people expect things to be handed to them without research.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 7:44pm
If I were you I would look for something like this:

Obviously the bidding's going to go up before it ends, but a Beyma 18g550 is 300 euros new, and you might pick it up here for less than a third of that. L'Acoustics speakers are very well regarded and Beyma rarely produces a bad drivers, so you can't do much better than this for price/performance ratio on a first build reflex sub design. 

You can see on the closed listings that a pair of these drivers recently sold - and one pair actually failed to sell - for 160 quid. That's only about 50% more than buying two of those unbranded generics.

It's reasonable to run a single driver in mono at first for bass, since the frequencies produced are more or less omnidirectional (the ear can't detect where in the room they're coming from), and if you need more output, put more watts into it. It should be able to take a lot of juice.

For tops you could try and source components but if you're looking at the used market it's basically easiest, and more economical, to buy them ready-built. Many options available.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbalist Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:19pm
Thank you, im looking for 4 subs so will start with that keep my eyes open for more.

Is there a link to making the boxes themselves, dimensions etc?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:24pm
www.speakerplans.com ;

There is no one size fits all answer. You find a set of components and then you design a box for them. You can find build threads for many popular designs on this website and forum. You probably should look at the G Sub for bass. There are other users on this forum right now writing about building G Subs, and many more who've built them in the past. If you decide you're going to build G Subs then you have a solid starting point for further research.

If you do buy that single driver the odds you'll find another 3 for a similar price in a convenient timeframe are close to zero, but it will hold it's value so you could keep an eye out for a set of 4 drivers and sell it on later.

Edited by Hemisphere - 26 March 2018 at 8:35pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Part of the difficulty with these budget drivers is they don't publish any Thiele/small parameters

Skytec/Skytronic DO publish them, its the UK distributor that doesn't:

https://www.discoworld.dk/manuals/skytronic/thielesmall_902127.pdf

the little 8" is the 902.208, apparently it sounds fairly good and has been used as an "upgrade" by some HiFi geeks, but at 86db/w it's not much use as a PA driver.

krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 9:35pm
if your looking to build single 18" subs you cant go far wrong with the b&c sub 18 design
the original one ,theirs plenty of threads about them on here and they work with a range of drivers from budget p audio 18e600, fane xb, pd186 and the beyma 550 all work well in the box.
I cant seem to find the plans but in sure there lurking on here somewhere 
get yourself a crossover something like a behringer cx3400 would do for a start
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbalist Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 10:05am
Perfect, im hoping to build this system - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_system_(Jamaican)

the one in the photo on wikki

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbalist Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 10:05am
Thank you very much for your help
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 12:02pm
The scoops in the wiki link with reflex and hf horns makes sense if your a reggae purist. Not sure why you'd want those mid horns with the reflex tho. either go reflex for mid/high or completely horn loaded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>