Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jus melted my subs need advice please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorenzo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jus melted my subs need advice please!
    Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:48pm
Hi to everyone i've been following this forum for general advice for a while but now i need some opinions please. i'm pretty new to the running my own soundsystem game but have had a lot of sound experience...

In a 3 way system i was running...

2 x Jamo 6000's 15' cabinets (reflex i think? one driver on top of each other facing front no scoop)
2 x Peavey Impulse Active Cabs

and at first piezo's but then some jamo horns cut off my old hi fi system D350's

though basic and thrown to together from whatever i had it's been holding it up with a crispy sound. but recently i used 2 x Amcron 1201  mono bridge to each sub which i think has melted the coil, i know this was a stupid way to learn as it's gonna be expensive

but can i replace this coil or do i have to get completley new drivers??
if so any ideas about better suited drivers as i like my bass DUB  heavy.

am no longer using the amps as i gave them back so any solutions to my whole bass refurb i.e new amps (amp) and drivers that match my cabinets please got about £500 - £1000 for whole lot.
awaitng your expert opinions peopleWink

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:55pm
You can recone drivers by changing the whole of the moving part of the structure.

I think your biggest problem will be getting recone kits for your speakers.  Perhaps use this as an opportunity to upgrade to something a bit more standard for PA use?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:55pm
Were you using a crossover with a high pass filter on the bass? If not you might want to think about including a Behringer DCX 2496 in your budget...
lorenzo14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorenzo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 3:00pm
Yea i think it is time to upgrade, need more power from the subs can i use the cabs with some heavier drivers? the old were 700w combined me tinks...

Yes had a HPF from a samsung crossover set, only a button no tuning available...
lorenzo14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorenzo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 3:01pm
700w each cab 2 drivers... i would no how to recone, yet...
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 5:48pm
I think most people will recommend upgrading rather than reconing. You'd just need to decide whether you want to go the DIY route (buy tools and build cabinets) or whether it's easier just to watch out for a bargain in the 'for sale' section of this site.

Have a browse through here: http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?pg=5 Smile
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 11:59am
hey mr seladore

for the kind of music you guys play i'd look at a pair of G-subs. double 18 reflex is going to be the most versatile type of speaker, especially when it comes to 3 way setups in small rooms and very wide ranges of music. they drop low and will just about get enough power from your amcrons. the drivers aint cheap though, end of the day you get what you pay for and they will make the jamo's look very silly indeed.

Joe

edit: craig should be able to knock up a pair in no time, if you make the boxes out of mdf (not ideal for moving about alot but would be fine if you're careful) they will be dirt cheap, leaving you more money for drivers.

also, power ratings are one of the least important specs of a speaker- it doesn't actually equate to loudness, simply how much power it will dissapate without burning. compare the sensitivity (measured dB with 1W of power 1m away) of cheaper eminence/peavey drivers and the more expensive precision devices/rcf drivers.

Edited by boycey - 05 January 2009 at 12:05pm
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
lorenzo14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorenzo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 4:12am
thanx for advice peeps...

and yes Joe, thought that was you when i read the Statement of the year post! quote me rite nex time doh less tock! your system sounded heavy after all and defo no quarms !

Soundsystem is REVOLUTION

maybe that ears on session helped?

Again...

Thanx 2 all 4 listenin'Clap 
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 10:30am
lol!

to be fair i have now been inspired to buy an eq
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
 Post Reply Post Reply