Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just finished X1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leswoodies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just finished X1
    Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:41am

Hello everybody!

It's a heavy working week that just finished today and with her, the X1.
Smile
I'm very happy with the work and as speakerplans helped alot with all the comments and building pics, maybe this little summary will help others.
I'll try to be honnest with the difficulties that appeared and not to show only the  perfect aspects
Embarrassed

Here we start with the drawing of the lateral side, from witch the construction is based.
All the panels have been drawed so that at every fixation point, the precision ca be checked.

Thoses are the little marks, so that the dowels can enter the opposite hole correctly. I had some surprises when putting the glue in the holes because some dowels didn't get then to the bottom of the hole. I had to force them with a hammer. But when you clamp the panels together the glue gets noramly out.

A simple methode to check if the saw cutted the angle precisely at 22.5°. You can cut as many times as you want as long as it is in a different panel.

After the angles, the second cut of this important panel (where the speaker goes) is to cut out the center hole. The methode described in the “guide” part of the website, is perfectly precise, and at 26,000 rpm, the wood becomes butter!

No glue here, only the disposition of the different panels, so that the the nexts steps can be tought.

Some clamping action...

A close look to the back door, with the 16 holes, as in the plan.

On this picture, all the panels have been glued together. We can no see well, but in the pink ring is a thin wood piece, long as the hole width, 570mm. I was quite surprised that the driver panel was a little bit to short to fit in well. This can be a measure fault. Maybe that this panel could have been cuted after measuring the size it must have. But with some dowels in the lateral sides, the SD-18 is well static!

the 29 dowels to hold the second lateral panel enough. Maybe this is a little too much, but who knows what vibrations the box will have to face.

Little inside detail, in link with the music the box will playWink,  written with fire.
You can see one of the four srcews that were used in the box, in the inner side.

EmbarrassedOkay... maybe that this is not very professional, but I had to find every thing possible to put some pressure in the middle part. Washing powder is better than nothing, no?

When trying to match the second lateral panel to the box, I was very surprised to see that it didn’t suit well. Actually it was as the hole box, worked with all the clamps and glue, that was a little bent. To fix the problem, I cutted a little part of the panel to fix it on the other side where it was missing., at the bottom of the box.

The  X1 from the front side two minutes ago. Can't wait to hear it running!

The lasting work is to round all the edges and to paint it.. Will post some more pictures!

Anyways, thanks for the help and if you have any question or suggestions, it would be with pleasure!

Leswoodies

Excuse me for the bad english!

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:49am
Looking good mate! What colour you going for ?
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 2:39pm
lol at the washing powder pic, nice build and very nice inside detail. is that done with a stencil and blowtorch?
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
leswoodies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leswoodies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 4:05pm
Thanks for the feedbacks!

The inside detail was drawed with a soldering iron. First the outline with the thiner part of the tool and the filling with the larger one. It's not really practical cause you can't hold it like a pencil and you have to hold it quiet away of where it is touching the wood. The fibers of the wood can also offer some resistance to a precise drawing.
But it was an idea...

We are thinking of drawing something on the outter side of the box, maybe also with fire, but this time with something more substantial than a soldering iron! To cover it we would use a see-trought glaze, maybe a little darker than the wood itself.
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 5:03pm
great job leswoodies!!! door looks especially clean!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 7:06pm
yeah, the access panel looks great. nice one all round.
bassboxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassboxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 9:03pm
well done, mate!

Respect!

+1 "door"/access panel looks really nice!

Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up
I'm still learning...one day i'll be a real speakerbuilder!
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 9:24pm
One of the best set of build pics i have ever seen, really nice.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:25pm
very nicely done, english is prety good too, well i understood it!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by leswoodies leswoodies wrote:

We are thinking of drawing something on the outter side of the box, maybe also with fire, but this time with something more substantial than a soldering iron! To cover it we would use a see-trought glaze, maybe a little darker than the wood itself.

a friend used to draw with a jewellers blowtorch onto black and white photos, won an art competition with it, pretty sure it would work on wood.
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 2:28pm
can anyone remember th word for burning words into wood??? it seems to be escaping me at the moment!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
GIVEorTAKE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GIVEorTAKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 2:38pm
Pyrography !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>