Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kick Bass for THAM15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kick Bass for THAM15
    Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:02pm
Hey :)
I‘m trying to find a Cab Design for a KICK on top of a tham15. As i run a Stack on 12v which is meant to be portbale it should not get to heavy. Something around 10“ is fine I guess... as i looked through the Forum I found this thread where some guys had a stack similar to mine. they mentioned a 10“ paraflex Kick bass bin which looks great https://forum.speakerplans.com/baby-rig-looking-for-power-sources_topic105504.html but couldn’t find plans for it.

Ideas anyone? Thanks In advance ;)
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:44pm
Hi, 
The main source of info on Paraflex designs is the "High-Order Quarterwave Society" user group on facebook, but I don't have a direct link, you'll need to search over there to find them I think.
Cheers,
David.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 3:09pm
I run Thams and although they don’t have loads of kick to them they don’t lack it. Running a single stack on 12v in multiple ways isn’t really that efficient. You might be better off looking at what your mid tops are, sticking with 3 way, make sure they’re the best you can afford and dial in the thump using a bit of eq. The addition of a whole extra channel of amp and speaker could just add more drain to the batt. 

However, it’s always a learning thing and I’m sure there’s plenty out there that will show another way...
blah blah blah blah blah......
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:01pm
[QUOTE=monkeypuzzle]You might be better off looking at what your mid tops are, sticking with 3 way, make sure they’re the best you can afford and dial in the thump using a bit of eq....[/QUOTE

So you mean i better look out for some 3-Way PA Tops? Do you have any in mind?

Another Idea was this:

2 x 8" in one box. Sealed or reflex... i don't know...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:31pm
The twin 8" could work but most likely won't have the punch you want. I was thinking more like a single 15 + 1 or 12 + 1. and then running the whole system three way (very possibly with a passive xover between the mid cone and the comp needing just one stereo amp. As long as they are efficient drivers then you should be able to boost with a bit of eq to get the thump you're looking for. What have you got so far? 
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:13pm
Okay i think i got your idea now :)

What about a 3Way PA Speaker on top with 2x10" and a 1"? Maybe something like in my previous drawing wired together?

For now i have a JB-SAT10V2 ...
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:16pm
If you want punch, then you're after more cone area with a very low Qts. So long as it can reach low enough either sealed (with EQ, if you're happy to give power) or vented (marginally less punch). Good starts would be B&C 12NDL75 or 12NW76.

Single driver may be best from a cost & weight point of view IMO. Especially if going neo.

FLH in style of MT121 would be good, but I think the length of horn would likely be unpractical
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by nilspixel nilspixel wrote:

Okay i think i got your idea now :)

What about a 3Way PA Speaker on top with 2x10" and a 1"? Maybe something like in my previous drawing wired together?

For now i have a JB-SAT10V2 ...

I think you confusing what is meant by “way”. In a traditional 3 “way” system one “way” is the bass, one is the mid range and one the top end. If you made a 2 x 10” + 1” box where one 10 played low mid and one played hi mid and the the 1” did the treble that would be a three way box and it would be pretty silly for what you require. “Ways” describes number of individual bands the signal is split into having a dedicated box for it rather than the number of drivers in a box.

A tham 15 (bass - way 1), then a box with either a 15” or 12” (mid - way 2) and a 1” (high - way 3) should do you fine. What drivers are in the JB Sat and does it have a x over built in?
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:11pm
The JB Sat is a very low budget thing which doesn't has a very high sensitivity... Drivers are: Faital 10FE200 and Sica z009442....Passive Crossover is built in.

96dB 1W/1m
118dB (121dB Max / 124dB Peak)
165W rms
7 Ohm (Rmin 5,83 Ohm@20kHz / 6,84@199Hz)
80Hz - 20,3kHz
Average 4,5% @ 114dB
75x50°

I decided to aim for a 12" + 1" PA Speaker again but would like to get something nice. Does anyone know a good design with a high sensitivity? Maybe this?

Also a small Version of a MT 121 would be nice but i'm not in the position to design such a thing :/

Edited by nilspixel - 12 May 2021 at 8:37pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:31pm
I went back to my drawing board and found this beautyful deign: https://forum.speakerplans.com/lockdown-audio-a-12v-3way-small-rig-build_topic105202_page1.html
I really like the idea of his mids...:

I decided to take a look at WinISD and calculated something really similar. Instead of two seperated chambers i simulated 2 Eminence Delta 10 in one vented box. This is what i gave me:

The idea would be to put both 10" parallel to get back to my 4 Ohm which my Pioneer Amp can handle. Also i would need a crossover to put a tweeter on top as i only have one channel...

2x10" + 1x1" ....

Edited by nilspixel - 13 May 2021 at 12:24am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:51am
... and now you need to read the rest of the thread as to why it got changed to an angled baffle!!
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:25pm
http://https://www.thomann.de/gb/eminence_kappa_pro_10.htm

Will need to check box size, but if you're happy with weight increase, these will give more 'kick'.

Edit: better options in neo, but much more $$

Edited by infrasound - 13 May 2021 at 4:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>