Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

kick bin: polarity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:28pm
So to be sure you have to check manually(on battery) which side speaker moves and compare to mids.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 11:31pm
IMO it's good practice not to have polarity reversals in the wiring. +1 on the speakon should be connected the the positive red terminal on the driver and cause the diaphragm to move away from the magnet. if the driver is mounted backwards it should be corrected by inverting polarity on the LMS.

a 180 phase shift is not equivalent to a polarity reversal - some LMS it might be approximately equivalent at high frequencies but might be way off for low frequencies. I have been meaning to measure the ultradrive phase section for a while. I have always assumed it is an all pass filter with a 2nd LPF implementation - the filter frequency adjusted to give the required phase shift at the LPF frequency for that section.
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:57am
in fact I happened on a sub bass reflex to accidentally mount the black clamp on the positive and the red on the negative, and turning the stage from the crossover I still had cancellations.
Nothing has served to reverse white and red sull'xlr dell'amp .. I had to detach the sub in that evening and take it apart to solve the problem!
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

IMO it's good practice not to have polarity reversals in the wiring. +1 on the speakon should be connected the the positive red terminal on the driver and cause the diaphragm to move away from the magnet. if the driver is mounted backwards it should be corrected by inverting polarity on the LMS.

I'm with bee on this one.
I think all cabs should be set up to 'push' with normal polarity settings on the LMS.
So if the driver is reverse mounted, the wiring should be switched, on the speakon preferably.

Otherwise it's a confusing unknown if the person using the box doesn't know the driver is reverse mounted and needs to accommodate for it on the LMS.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 3:37pm

a 180 phase shift is not equivalent to a polarity reversal - some LMS it might be approximately equivalent at high frequencies but might be way off for low frequencies. I have been meaning to measure the ultradrive phase section for a while. I have always assumed it is an all pass filter with a 2nd LPF implementation - the filter frequency adjusted to give the required phase shift at the LPF frequency for that section.

Might be overthinking it a tad there, more like that somewhere in the processing chain there exists a bit of code

if (Sample_Invert == True)
    Sample = !sample;

But it would be interesting to see a transfer function of a channel with zero processing except inversion. I doubt you'd see any difference with the exception of phase.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 7:22pm
I picked a a 'job lot' of gear a while ago - which icluded this:

The previous owner has stuck an extra speakon on the back - with the phase flipped! Quite clever really - saves messing around with odd cables or your LMS. Just choose the input appropriate for the job.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

The previous owner has stuck an extra speakon on the back - with the phase flipped! Quite clever really - saves messing around with odd cables or your LMS. Just choose the input appropriate for the job.   Smile
Right you can always daisy chain inverted to inverted :d

Check case if someone instead of reversing phase delayed speaker 180deg and than you looking at cables switched polarity. If boxes are still delayed to each other.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 7:38pm
Polarity flip is not same as phase flip. Remember and don't confuse.

What we are talking about here is polarity swap. And that should ALWAYS be done in the cabinet if design requires that.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I'm with bee on this one.
I think all cabs should be set up to 'push' with normal polarity settings on the LMS.
So if the driver is reverse mounted, the wiring should be switched, on the speakon preferably.

Otherwise it's a confusing unknown if the person using the box doesn't know the driver is reverse mounted and needs to accommodate for it on the LMS.

I guess you are right. If a cab has grills on so you can't see which way the driver is mounted you need to be able to assume that polarities are the same.

are people reversing the polarity on their scoops?

Edited by snowflake - 12 November 2018 at 10:49pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Might be overthinking it a tad there, more like that somewhere in the processing chain there exists a bit of code

Sample = !sample;

But it would be interesting to see a transfer function of a channel with zero processing except inversion. I doubt you'd see any difference with the exception of phase.

I was talking about the phase shift section which allows values from 0 to 180deg and is (according to manual) the shift at the LPF frequency for that output. I agree the polarity inversion is trivial Tongue
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2018 at 12:08pm

are people reversing the polarity on their scoops?

F*ck knows. Are people even still using those outdated things??
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2018 at 8:39pm

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Sample = !sample;

I was talking about the phase shift section which allows values from 0 to 180deg and is (according to manual) the shift at the LPF frequency for that output. I agree the polarity inversion is trivial Tongue

Ah fair play, I'm with you. Probably the digital equivalent of an all-pass filter then, wiki has a bit of info on how to derive one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>