Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Klipsch K-48 driver specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klipsch K-48 driver specs
    Posted: 17 October 2013 at 10:13pm
Not sure if this belongs in General or ElectroFrying...

I've been given a bunch of old drivers from some dismantled Klipsch boxes

1x K-48-KP
2x K-48-EP
And a couple of horns...
It appears the KP came from a KI-362 (the horns match this) and the EP maybe from KI-115

Unfortunately one of the K-48-EP is blown, but it was free so I can't complain

I want to built new boxes with them, but can't find much in the way of specs - is there anywhere Kilpsch details can be found?

And, how would these drivers compare to aftermarket models?
I read on forums people comparing them to Eminence Kappa 15 or the like - apparently the E in the code reflects it was made by them. Just not sure if it's worth spending $2-300 on reconing the blown K-48-EP. Probably build a cheapo party/suicide rig and use them as ported woofers, if I can get 2 boxes going out of the 3 drivers that'd be OK - but wonder how different the E and K variants are...

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2013 at 6:39am
figured this out myself, bought a Dayton DATS:
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/test-measurement/dats-dayton-audio-test-system.html

Haven't quite mastered it yet, but managed to get it to spit out numbers that look usable - no doubt it has some small quirks to learn as I use it more. For $100 I have removed guesswork from building boxes with all the random drivers I have laying around, not a bad investment!

For reference, the K-48-EP

And the K-48-KP

I also tried a couple of other drivers and compared them to paper specs, numbers looked reasonable so I'm suitably satisfied with this... now to design some boxes!

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2013 at 9:37am
Alrighty, your TS values look very sensible, perhaps the Qes for the K48 seems a tad high - it's going to need a considerably sized enclosure to get a flat response. But perhaps this is the way that it has been designed? I don't really know anything about the Klipsch range.
 Post Reply Post Reply