Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Korg Zero 8 Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korg Zero 8 Power Supply
    Posted: 08 March 2012 at 8:19pm
Hi there

Anyone know where I might get a replacement switch mode power supply for a Korg Zero 8 mixer?

One came in to me the other day with a fried power supply. It still outputs some sound albeit distorted and horrible. Been on to Korg and apparently the unit is discontinued. Tried ebay and no joy.
So thought someone here might have an idea. Could possibly repair it although I feel it might be a waste of time.

Joe

Wherever you go, there you are.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 8:29pm
When you say fried, do you mean beyond economic repair as in burnt? Has anyone looked at fixing it yet? Got any pics?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:47am
Yea the board is pretty burnt and there's lots of bulged caps. I'll be the one repairing it. One thing of note is that the unit powers up and gives out some sound. It's distorted and nasty. I haven't checked the components on the board yet but maybe seeing as though it does power up it might be worth repairing. Here's some photos sure have a look and see what you think.

Korg Zero 8 Pwr Sply 1 by Joebags1, on Flickr

Korg Zero 8 Pwr Sply 2 by Joebags1, on Flickr

Korg Zero 8 Pwr Sply 3 by Joebags1, on Flickr

Korg Zero 8 Pwr Sply 4 by Joebags1, on Flickr
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:05am
The bulged caps are all empty, obviously. However all is not lost as that does not look like a Korg part, it will be a generic power supply, you simply need to work out what voltages are on that output connector. There are 7 pins, but they can be in any order depending on the manufacturer. There should be some kind of part number you could trace to the makers or you can either work out what pins are used (there looks to be a couple of regulators used, the part number will give the voltage on those pins away (a 7815 and 7915 pair will show you the plus and minus 15v rails and the ground (centre pin on the 7815)) one may be an earth tag by the looks of things, that leaves 3 pins, one will be 5v, another should be digital (5v) ground but the final pin? could be 3v3, or -5v maybe? might not even be needed.
I guess you could power it up and wring the last bit out of it to measure the voltages. Then it is off to an electronics supply co, Mouser, Farnell etc to track down a new one.
Or you could change all the caps on it?? 
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:08am
Just looked at the photos again and the product ID and outputs are all on a sticker on the side of the large capacitor. Confused
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:53am
Sounds like a job! Great thanks for the info I've meaning to get to grips with switch modes for a while now so I guess here's an opportunity.  It seems less daunting that it did yesterday!
I'll have another look at it today.

Cheers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 12:52pm
i would bung a new one in unless you're a treating it as an exercise.

£40 should do it!

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 1:27pm
Or replace with a linear psu? That would be cheaper and more reliable.... Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 5:00pm
..and need a box building on the side to house it!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

..and need a box building on the side to house it!

Smile

Not for a small mixer. I´ve managed to squeeze linear supplies into the smps casing for several different Behringers and did a small Studiomaster a couple of weeks ago as well. It obviously depends how badly damaged they are, but when they go it is usually quite spectacular - I´ve had to replace the reverb board in a couple due to 'collateral damage'.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 7:47pm
I replaced all the bulged caps today on the power supply.  I hooked it up to the mains (without connecting it to the rest of the unit) and with a light blub in series and turned it on. The light flashed then dimmed. So the signs were good. All the voltages measured ok. +/- 18v, +5, +12 and +48v.

Then I hooked it up to rest of the unit, still with the light bulb in series turned it on again. Now the bulb just keeps flashing along with the screen on the mixer. It's the first time i've used the light bulb with an SMPS so not sure what the next step is.

Will the unit power up with the bulb in series?

With the bulb flashing I think this is a sign of a another problem within the unit so i'm reluctant to test it without it.

Any suggestions?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 8:02pm
I´m not sure if the bulb trick will work with a smps. Maybe try with a fuse? 
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>