Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larger rig recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larger rig recommendations
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 6:54am
I'm after some advice and recommendations for a larger rig primarily for use in marquees and at outdoor events. I currently have a powered reflex system with an 800w 2x10+ horn top and 2 500w 15" bins per side which is used for live bands. This is serving me very well and the tops in particular are excellent but I've started to get more work at larger events, particularly marquees with 2-300 people and am struggling for headroom.

I'm looking for the 'next step up' so to speak, and would be keen to hear recommendations for either a good off the shelf system that I could possibly buy 2nd hand or a built system using plans from here. I don't want to go too mad as I don't foresee the events getting much bigger so would like to keep it as compact as possible but I guess I'm looking at a small horn loaded system.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:18am
If what you have now is 'excellent', then build more of it and don't tell your guests about comb filtering.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:06am
Yeah more of the same makes more sense, then if you get two smaller gigs, you can do both…
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:20am
Budget? More of what you have sounds good. Are you strugging on mid top, bass or both? What are rhe current speakers you have?
mr_merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by mstep77 mstep77 wrote:

Budget? More of what you have sounds good. Are you strugging on mid top, bass or both? What are rhe current speakers you have?

Thanks for your replies.

It's a Shermann Black rig which consists of 4 15" 500w powered bins and 2 800w tops each with 2x10" plus horn.

It's a great sounding system - very hifi and the vocals are fantastic. I think the bins struggle to keep up with tops to be honest and we've also had the tops clipping a bit at some marquee events recently.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:45pm
I would think it would make most sense to scale up what you have so maybe add some 18" bins and another matching pair of mid tops ,keep it all Sherman then if needs be you can use it as two separate rigs ,which will also increase income to help pay for them, sherman stuff is generally pretty good from the ones ive heard over the years ,although im surprised a twin 10 top is struggling to keep up with twin 15's
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
alglw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alglw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:49pm
As I read this the bins are struggling to keep up with the tops. The red light on the modules indicates the limiter is activated.
I would suggest adding another set of tops to double the coverage if you are playing wider spaces, and adding 4 x single 18" subs to increase low frequency output to keep the system balanced. This would split up into four stacks allowing 2 systems on smaller events.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:00pm
Depends how much of a priority 'keeping it compact' is for you. Doubling up what you have already is a reasonable idea but then you're carrying twice as much kit.

If that's a problem then a tapped horn rig might be more suitable. They do well outdoors, and a set of 6x THAM12 on bass would take up less space overall than what you're currently using but be much louder, scalable for smaller events, be cheap to build and load, and have plenty of low frequency extension for live bands. Even 4x would be a considerable step up for headroom and you could decide after building those if you needed more. You'd need an amp for the bass - an iNuke NU3000DSP would probably do the job and that should be enough for processing as well. Maybe NU6000 if building 6 but that will probably be overkill.

Keeping the tops powered would be sensible. If you replaced the subs with tapped horns you could sell everything you've got now as a complete system and use the proceeds to buy some new powered tops with more headroom, or just double up the tops as suggested and go with what you know.

You could do all this with a budget of less than a grand.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply