Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED bar opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED bar opinions?
    Posted: 02 December 2012 at 3:15pm
Ok, I'm looking at LED bars capable of doing pixel mapping, so need to be capable of independant control of the 'elements' and have a reasonable number of elements per bar (min 8, ideally more), and tri-leds would be nicest, although well clustered separate RGB leds would do I guess.

SO far it looks like the Showtec Pixel Bar 12 gives most bang for buck, but wondered if people were using anything else with success?

The Varytec Gigabar II looks like it might cut it for purely eye candy back of stage effects, but not enough output for uplighting or stage lighting tasks. Unfortunately I can't find a manual to see how many channel/elements it has. I've read some comments about 26 DMX channels, which would suggest 8xRGB elements and dimmer and something else like mode.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 5:26pm
just watched a 10 x pixalbar12 on youtube, the effects are amazing... stick that 2ft above the dj and theres most of your lighting for ya... but... and heres the but... £1800 for ten bars without a controller!!

i hope you find something cheaper...
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 5:44pm
For that sort of effect, they appear to be 'cheap'.

Check out the video for the ADJ Mega Tri Bar which are about £1100 for 4

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 5:47pm
Quote without a controller!!

You don't need a controller if you've got a Chamsys, Avo, etc desk. They all do pixel mapping very intuitively these days.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 5:50pm
WOW!!... 1800 seems like a bloody good deal now lol
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:40pm
Just in case you happen to stumble along the Prolight Archibar 48 - avoid it like it's riddled with VD.
19 DMX channels, 12 x RGBW, IP rated, but.... so unreliable it's silly.
If they worked reliably, they'd be great.

Pic taken before we had a chance to adjust angles etc

Edited by dylan-penguinmedia - 02 December 2012 at 10:44pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:44pm
... shame they look nice and bright!

im looking for something cheaper then that 12 RGB LED bar now as i have a million ideas running through my head.

...im working towards an 18th birthday party for my daughter in 2014... sorry for the slight highjack
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

... shame they look nice and bright!

Yeah I can't knock the light output for the money - having the white in there really helps too.
 Post Reply Post Reply