Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED battens? 5mm or 10mm LEDs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED battens? 5mm or 10mm LEDs?
    Posted: 29 October 2010 at 12:26am

Im looking to buy some LED battens. They will probably be controlled via Chamsys. The idea is they will go behind the DJ booth to create visual effects, I don't expect them to throw much.

The shortlist is;

LEDJ Pixel Bar £170ish
Eurolite LED Leiste 648/5 £182 HD vid
Eurolite LED Leiste 324/10 £155 HD vid

My gut instinct says go with the Eurolite 324/10 as it has 10mm LEDs and from my experience these are much brighter than the 5mm ones, it draws the most power which suggests brightest output (doesn't it?), it is also the cheapest. The down side is it only has 6 individual controllable groups where as the others have 8.

Would the smaller LED's and 8 controllable blocks be beneficial for the kind of visual effects I am aiming for?

Should I be looking at the longer but thinner alternatives?

I don't suppose anyone has any direct experience with these but does anyone have a general opinion?

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 12:27am
Do you need throw from a batten?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 12:51am
The further the better but I wouldn't expect anything led to throw that far. Essentially I'm after visual effects rather than washing the room with colour.
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 1:12am
ive got 4 chauvet colorstrips.. i think i paid 140 a pop .. nice lights for the cash

Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)
Powered by MC2 & XTA
Louder than loud View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 1:26am
Need to get some of them Thumbs Up
Smiter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 9:23am

I guess if they will be pointint out towards the audience, as opposed to lighting up walls etc, then you don't want too much power else they'll turn into audience blinders.. maybe go with less powerful ones that have more effect features like being segmented into blocks so you can make full use of the Chamsys's features?

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 1:17pm
Yep, the more 'pixels' you can get out of them will have a big effect on the quality of any pixel mapping you do as it effectively increases the resolution.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 10:26pm
Sorry have been away for the weekend.

Looks like I will be going for the Eurolite 648/5.

I'm waiting to hear back from thomann to see if they can supply a pdf manual as Id look to have a look at the addressing ect.
Chris M View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 11:31pm
What swayed you?
Previously VPAS
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 8:55am
Looks like they have the better DMX control, they split into 8 segments which will be better for the Chamsys pixel mapper and from this video the throw looks sufficient.
solution View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 12:49pm
I'm also looking at buying some LED battens. I've been told that these are worth buying:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_led_pixel_track_mkii.htm

or I think they do a pro model at about £600

I've used some before I think they were the LEDJ ones which lost their DMX capability.

Price wise the showtec are out of my range but I was wondering what experiences people have had with the Eurolite LED Leiste 648/5 ?

I can't seem to find a manufacturers warranty online and they won't be covered by Thomanns one from what I can tell.

At that kind of price (£182 each) I'd want to get 2 or 3 years use out of them before I expected to go a bit haywire. Is that reasonable to expect?

I'm thinking of getting four and just want to know if people think the £800 investment would return to me? ON average I'd probably use them twice a month for club nights and the odd wedding type hire out.
Bassmentality: Ska, reggae, funk & Hip hop every month @ The Cellar, Oxford
 Post Reply Post Reply