FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LiFePO4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 9:20pm
lifepo4 is much safer than those 18650 li-ion cells, no fire risks etc..!
the bms is never really built in, its a module that often includes the required balancers to level the typically 4 cells voltage, 3.2-3.3v each, for a 12v norminal battery..
4x 100Ah lifepo4 cells could be had for about 100quid, add the balancers/BMS and a shunt with bluetooth connectivity for convenience..

the discharge/charge currents are about the same as the capacity, the bigger the cells, the larger the currents - i see no problem there re. soundstuff..!

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 8:38pm
There seems to have been a bit of an upsurge in folk using/considering  this chemistry recently - not surprising as the prices are coming down somewhat.

I've had LiPO for quite a while (RC style ones) and a few bodged up DIY packs from 18650 cells. Mostly quite happy with em .... but never used LiFePO4.

So I'm looking around at them - all seem to come in with strong sealed ABS(ish) industrial-style cases - with built-in BMS. The form factors seem to pretty much ape the standard lead-acid sizes/shapes - which makes sense.

But reading around a bit, I've seen quite some folk having trouble with the BMS's .... and with the buit-in BMS's, any trouble would seem to imply the whole pack would be a write-off ... no ?
Guessing a simple feckin passive component failure would brick the sealed pack wouldn't it ? Don't fancy a 1p R or C or whatever trashing a 200-300 quid battery.

Any experiences in here with that ? Anyone know of batteries that use/can use external BMS ?

Also - I'm assuming these batteries are pretty much designed for use with various types of bike/scooter/golf trolley or whatever - with very different current deliver patterns. Is there any reason to think there'd be issues with sound system use where the current draw will be very intermittent and peaky ?

The folks doing the soundboks (Saturnus) has been supplying them for a while now - would be good to hear his experiences over time ...

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic