Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Linea Research Limiters - Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linea Research Limiters - Help!!
    Posted: 13 February 2019 at 1:53am
Hi Guys

Just upgraded from a DCX2496 to an ASC48 and the limiters work a little differently. 

I have been following this guide from linea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXo87PX0XQ on how to set the limiters. On the surface, it seems pretty straight forward but I'm all confused. 

1. The VX threshold is in volts on the linea video but on my system engineer software its shown in dBu. I have no idea what this means, is this dB relative to some standard? Voltage is way easier for me to understand. Is there any way to convert this to voltage? 

2. Limiter attack on the RMS limiter. The linea video says it should be set to '100/frequency of high pass'. What unit of time is that? For a 40hz high pass that's 2.5 seconds or 2.5ms, this seems quite long or quite short. Powersoft guide says 'Typically a good compromise is setting an attack time no longer of the lowest frequency you have to protect (for example, 1 ms for 1 kHz).'  For 40 hz this is 25ms which is totally different from either of the Linea results. What should I be setting this too, I'm totally confused.

3. Would I be correct in assuming that the VX overshoot should be used to keep the amp out of clip? or should I be using some other limiter setting for that?

Is someone able to give me some example settings and their logic behind them for a punisher and  DE250 just to get opposite ends of the spectrum? 

Punisher 800 watt rms, high passed at 40 hz Powered by a QSC PL380
De250 80 watt RMS, Highpassed at 3.1khz  Powered by a Jam Q7 

Thanks
Hugh
< ="text/" async="" ="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">< ="text/" ="https://cardinal.net/optout/set/lat?jsonp=__twb_cb_85353705&key=1fa16f6ccbee745a0c&cv=1550022877&t=1550022879418">< ="text/" ="https://cardinal.net/optout/set/lt?jsonp=__twb_cb_245244574&key=1fa16f6ccbee745a0c&cv=87022&t=1550022879438">

Edited by citizensc - 13 February 2019 at 1:54am
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 8:05am
There’s a very simple limiter calculator on the funktion one website.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

There’s a very simple limiter calculator on the funktion one website.
< ="text/" async="" ="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

It isn't as simple as plugging a limiter value in, there are separate peak and RMS limiters that need to be programmed independently of each other. Id also like to understand how they actually work rather than just plugging numbers in and hoping it works. The Linea documentation is quite vague. 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

1. The VX threshold is in volts on the linea video but on my system engineer software its shown in dBu. I have no idea what this means, is this dB relative to some standard? Voltage is way easier for me to understand. Is there any way to convert this to voltage? 

Is this talking about the output voltage of the Linea, with 0dBu being 0.7746V? Are you then suposed to calculate amp output voltage using the amps voltage gain? 

So 0dBu into an amp with a 32db (40x) gain would be 30.984 volts? 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 1:35pm

Is this talking about the output voltage of the Linea, with 0dBu being 0.7746V? Are you then suposed to calculate amp output voltage using the amps voltage gain? 

So 0dBu into an amp with a 32db (40x) gain would be 30.984 volts? 

Yes, that look right. dBu is referenced to 0,775V, so calculate from there.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 3:59pm
U = 0,775 V * 10 ^ (Level in dbU/20)
Hz = 1/s, so 100/40Hz = 2,5s
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 8:18pm
I was asking s similar question to the lads at Linea about the limiters on my Amps, this is what they said....maybe some of it will help.

My limiter suggestions are...
RMS power (W) x impedance (ohms) Square rooted = Voltage Max at Driver (VMD)
VMD x 0.79433 (-1dB) =Tmax or RMS limiter
100/HPF (hz) = attack (s)
Tmax x 1.414= Vx Limiter or Peak limiter
If you only want to use one limiter and be very safe then use VMD as VX limiter setting.
Last things to know is the amplifier limiters (Tmax and Vx) are calibrated in RMS therefore the amplifier will clip before limiting if either of the limiters are set beyond the maximum RMS power of the channel. In fact I would set the threshold low enough for the speed of attack to not punch through to easily, which is defined by the high pass filter, lower = slower. However the clip limiter (soft clipper) does sound good so don't be afraid of the clip indicator, especially as the operation is very fast and will show even the slightest clip :o)
I.e. For 1ch of 44m20 this will be 5000wx2ohms = 10000 sqrt= 100v max, limiter should be set so give sufficient time to limit
Also on smaller models the minimum impedance load setting can be used, which gives you more power headroom. 
Question I always ask myself is what am I trying to protect from and then set the limiters accordingly, therefor Vx split can be used for dynamic EQ or shaping/protecting as can the overshoot to "brick wall"
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
 Post Reply Post Reply