Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Little or large

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little or large
    Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:16pm
OK folks, answers from Reggae guys most appreciated but the cabs not going to be used in that scene.

I have 4 XB''s here and want them to go under 4 x 15 reflex.  I have never owned a full scoop so actually want to build one. I have plans, done research, not  a problem

My question is a simple one, having built and owned many minis how much more output 35/80 in a group of four are full scoops going to give me over minis? Is it worth the wood? Remember, Fane XB, no other driver and it's a hobby not the world cup sound system.

Thank you
It's everything, not everythink!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:28pm
Let me simplify it for you..

If the minis/Scoops are not gonna be used in Reggae scene, then no need for mini's or Scoops.

Just slap the XBs in 2x Gsubs, and be very happy, with 30hz-200hz, for every Genre.

Point of Mini Scoops/Scoops, is 1x 1x18 cab giving the same Spl as a 2x18, 40hz up.

And as Robert Newsham said, Scoop SPL is not all distortion..

Wink
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:41pm
You missed the hobby word Ray, also there is a hell of a lot of, "reggae like" sub in other genres now.

Just wanted the expected difference in SPL over the many minis I have had? C'mon, spill the beans :)

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:51pm
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Let me simplify it for you..

If the minis/Scoops are not gonna be used in Reggae scene, then no need for mini's or Scoops.

true statement Big smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:04pm
it all depends on the design/s. I would say buy my shortman full scoops  im selling and u will get some serious lows but you're wanting to build. Go for wide eminence scoop with corner angle 'deflectors'/braces' and u will notice alot more spl down low compared to most minis on the market
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

You missed the hobby word Ray, also there is a hell of a lot of, "reggae like" sub in other genres now.

Just wanted the expected difference in SPL over the many minis I have had? C'mon, spill the beans :)

All the free mini designs are "not bad"..

The mini scoops related to/derived from  Shortman mini, with PD1850/V18-1000 and similar drivers, will smoke all the free mini designs, and many other full Scoops.

Hope that answers your questions.

I really think 2x Gsubs is really what you need, for multi genre flexibility.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:20pm
I dnt think so. The reflex will have better upper bass but the op has 15 reflex ontop to do that. I used to play lots of genres on my scoops and they did it really well. And filled rooms. The reflex didnt fill anywhere. Edit: and u need twice the drivers and amps!?

Edited by luton_soundman - 20 March 2018 at 9:21pm
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

I dnt think so. The reflex will have better upper bass but the op has 15 reflex ontop to do that. I used to play lots of genres on my scoops and they did it really well. And filled rooms. The reflex didnt fill anywhere.

Definitely, Reflex don't do much, unless there are piles and piles of them, or very small venues.
But they do play very low, and go up to 200hz, without much fuss.

The CVA cabs, can be suprising though, with PD1850.

Perfect for some, not my kinda thing, though.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:53pm
It doesn't make sense to have reflex above scoops

Sealed or horn loaded yer

Edited by RUS - 20 March 2018 at 9:55pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

It doesn't make sense to have reflex above scoops

Sealed or horn loaded yer

People who don't know what they are talking about, shouldn't post in SF.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 10:20pm

Edited by RUS - 20 March 2018 at 10:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>